MacFUSE - where did i get it from?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by svkrzn, Dec 13, 2009.

1. svkrzn macrumors regular

I admit, i'm new to mac. I have it since one week only. But comming from windows, i learned to monitor which app installs what and where. I rarelly go to preferences panel, but today i noticed macfuse was in there. Which app did i install it with? Could it be Parallels Desktop 5? Or it comes preinstalled with OSX SL?

Thanks.

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/5.0.0.348 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Parallels. Macfuse is for transferring data between partitions (ie bootcamp) should you have one and utilize it in parallels.

3. svkrzn thread starter macrumors regular

4. bkap16 macrumors member

FUSE stands for File Systems In Userspace. It allows people to make cross-platform file system drivers. In addition to having fun with this (mounting Wikipedia as a file system so you can edit it in your favorite text editor for instance), it's also used for NTFS-3G, a popular read/write NTFS driver. I know VMWare Fusion uses this for reading and writing to Windows partitions so there's a good chance Parallels does as well.

5. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

Truecrypt also uses MacFUSE and will install it if it's not already installed.

6. newdeal macrumors 68020

when you go into parallels it will bring up a drive on your desktop that is the C: from the windows virtual box. If you delete macfuse it will not bring that up. Unfortunately macfuse isn't that fully featured, I also put paragon NTFS on my system to be able to write to ntfs partitions. I then deleted macfuse but I had to reinstall it because paragon ntfs wasn't doing the same thing for parallels as macfuse did

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacFUSE is included and installed when you install the freeware NTFS-3G NTFS driver.

8. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

I have the same question. i dont have parallels installed...and i havent been in my system prefs in a while, but noticed macfuse there. did this install with google chrome? i have no idea how i got it

9. svkrzn thread starter macrumors regular

ntfs-3g, vmware fusion neither?

10. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

neither of those. I can only suspect it came from chrome or some another google product. Macfuse is a google product, right?

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacFUSE is a foundation for non-native filesystems. Chrome is a browser and, as such, does not need a non-native file system. Furthermore, it uses simple unzip installation and not the installer required by MacFUSE. If you want to know where MacFUSE on your system came from, then you should look at apps and utilities that require non-native file systems. It was probably installed when you installed some cheap port of some Windows app—maybe a game that advertised itself as Windows/Mac-compatible.