mach_kernel (not) in root Yosemite partition?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by m4v3r1ck, Jun 6, 2014.

1. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

What's her new name and location in Yosemite?

~ Cheers

2. chrfr macrumors 603

/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

3. paronga macrumors member

paronga

why would they move it?

does this make it less posix compliant?
    (posix newb over here)

4. alex0002 macrumors 6502

In HP-UX the kernel file is in the /stand directory, e.g. the kernel file is /stand/vmunix
    Linux based systems (not posix) tend to have the kernel in the /boot directory. e.g. /boot/vmlinuz (compressed kernel file).
    FreeBSD (not posix) appears to do something similar, with the kernel located under /boot/kernel
    I'm not so familiar with Solaris, but it could be under /kernel or /platform/{arch}/kernel depending on the system architecture. But just to make things more complicated, there appears to be a platform independent part and platform specific part.

It seems that most *nix based O/S are moving away from placing the kernel in the root directory.

5. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Most of the examples you site still have a link at the root level to the kernel. At least they once did. It's been a while for me.

6. alex0002 macrumors 6502

I think that in most cases that link is there for backwards compatibility with something that was phased out long ago. For example, my Debian GNU/Linux desktop has those links, but you can delete them and nothing bad happens.