MacHeist bundle ?'s

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by edcoche, Jan 17, 2008.

1. edcoche macrumors regular

edcoche

This seems like a great deal. What I am wondering is for those of you who use the programs packaged with this offer, or are familiar with these apps, are these programs useful for the average everyday mac user? I mainly use my mac for keeping digital camera pictures/videos on it, music, dvd's, internet (primarily), NeoOffice, etc. In other words, my Mac isn't used to earn an income. I don't do any heavy duty photo editing, and I actually don't even own an "after market" image editing program. Which of these apps are really useful and why? Are any of them not worth owning? As I look at the programs on the macheist website it seems to me that I'd only really have a use for pixelmator (how is it BTW? Any worthy filters come with it?), TaskPaper (which is a beefed up "Stickies" IMO) and maybe AppZapper. I am considering buying it though. It's for a good cause but still, I want to make the purchase only if the programs are worth owning for my primary uses on the Mac. Back when I was a winblows user I used Paint Shop Pro a lot and Photoshop too, I was quite talented with them and enjoyed them when I wanted to do some clever/funny/artistic image editing.

Anyways, please advice Mac gurus. Any advice/insight will be greatly appreciated. :cool:

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, since they all have demo versions available, the best way to find out would be to try them.

Personally, some of the similar bundles in the past have been very worth it to me, and I gladly paid--I'd have bought Graphic Converter, for example, even without the bundle it was in. Or the one that included Delicious Library--I'd probably not have bought that outside the bundle, but since I had it it was fun to use. Same with SRS iWow. Other times (the most recent one prior to this), there weren't any apps that I'd likely use, so I didn't buy the bundle.

There are plenty of nice tools in this one, but of course it's not worth it unless you're going to actually use them. For me, CSSEdit, Cha-Ching, Snapz Pro, Pixelmator, and Speed Download are all apps that I have some use for, but wouldn't have paid full price for; in the bundle, worth it.

I already DID pay full price for WingNuts 2--TOTALLY worth it, to--so if you enjoy games of that sort, it's worth having a peek at.

3. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

The only one i have used is AppZapper which is great, i have heard good stuff about 1password too.

4. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

MacHeist Bundle II

Can someone please talk me into buying this? I know it's a good deal; 12 Mac apps for just $49. However, for some reason I can't justify even paying that for something I don't think I'll really use.

Then again, depending on how useful they could be in the future, I could use them a lot. What do you guys think? Is it really that good of a deal for a dozen indie apps?

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I got it for App Zapper, Snapz ProX, CSS Edit, and Pixelmator (well and iStopMotion for a friend to make him jealous) :D

I say it's worth it, but a lot of people around here have problems with these bundles as the apps are going for a lot less than regular price... I say if they didn't want to be part of this then they wouldn't have put up their app!

Oh and BTW if you do decide to get it, go through the Macrumours link (or mine here if you want to). I'd certainly appreciate getting launch bar!

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I merged your thread and this thread, as they are of a very common theme.

7. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Ahh! Thanks very much. My apologies.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

None needed, I just happened to see both in the New Posts search and after reading both, thought you might get a little more traction in this one. :)

Oh, and FWIW, I looked at MH2 for consideration.. but I already own the only apps that I would use out of the bundle, so I declined. Big price for stuff I wouldn't use (or already own).

IMO, Snapz Pro X (w/ movie) is worth buying.

Speed Download.. I've encountered a lot of people with problems with it. But not in quite a while, so maybe whatever version they have now is actually functional and stable. But to me it seems a bit of a misnomer, your connection speed is the same no matter what, so how this app would make anything faster... I don't know.

9. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I love my bundle! Even if you want just a few apps it's great. And I suggest going over to this thread and picking a random link, just click it, it brings you to the home page and then buy. People just want to get the 2 extra apps for "referring" someone and it would be nice of you to help them.

10. edcoche thread starter macrumors regular

edcoche

Ok, so what's going on here? People are getting additional apps for referring people via a link into buying the MacHeist Package but not the people who buy through somebody's referral link?

More importantly, how does Pixelmator compare to image apps like Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop?? I realize CS3 is much more expensive and powerful. Does Pixelmator come with filters or do those need to be purchased? To they perform most of the same functions as the image apps mentioned above?

11. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I have bought the bundle. Pixelmator seems nice and even useful, but it crashes a little too frequently to be relied upon.

ChaChing is a waste of money.

1Password is nice, although it does not prompt me to save login information on some sites. It works on Wachovia but ignores Chase bank, for example.

Appzapper - worth it if it is free, but is not worth to pay money for - I will keep it since it is part of the bundle.

SpeedDownload - I am still not getting what its purpose is. I can download files with or without it installed and the speed does not seem to be faster (I am not 100% certain on that and it might as well be, it is just it is not noticeable in real use, at least for me). What is noticeable is that it pops up when I try to download something in Safari, but what is the point? It ignores downloads in iTunes, by the way.

Awaken might be useful, although I am using free app Alarm Clock 2 instead, which works very well and is unobtrusive.

Have not used, and probably will not use the rest of the apps, but I can see how those can be useful for some.

My personal opinion is that the bundle is not discounted but is just about worth the price. Just about. I am hoping that Pixelmator will be updated to a more stable iteration.

12. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Great review. This is just what I needed. I think I'm going to avoid the hype and chill on this one.

13. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

i have pixelmator 1.0, and for some reason, it can't draw a straight line. why is that. its a basic function and i can't seem to find it on the tool bar.

for 50 bucks, its worth the price. pixelmator ranks in the middle between photoshop and say something like seashore.

14. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I agree that Pixelator is the nicest App in the bundle. I used to use Photoshop for simple operations like brightness adjustment on scientific images, but Pixelator is leaner and is nicer for these operations, and I am switching to using Pixelator for that. This speeds up my work.

As for the line function, I could not find it either (1.1.1), but I personally do not expect it because it is not a vector program and I have a nice old-school MacDraw-like vector program to do drawing (Intaglio).

15. joeswinehart macrumors member

I think I might get the bundle, I've wanted Snapz for a while and a few other gems are in there. If anyone else hasn't bought yet but plans to do so, I think we could trade referrals...I wouldn't mind adding LaunchBar to the mix. If you are interested, PM me.

16. Makosuke macrumors 603

Before having it recommended to me by someone here, I'd have said the same thing.

However, I've found it VERY useful recently for downloading files from sites that are really, really flakey on large-ish downloads.

With any browser I've tried, it would start the download, but just die after a while, leaving only a partially downloaded file. You can sometimes re-start the download from where it died with Safari, but eventually that won't work either and I end up with half a file.

SpeedDownload, however, will download the entire file without complaint. I'm not downloading enough from these flakey sites to make it worth full price (though it was handy enough I had seriously considered it), but as part of this bundle I'm quite happy.

It also has the advantage of being able to queue large downloads to download one at a time, which can be nice for preparing several things to download that you don't want running simultaneously.

None of this relates to the "Speed" part of its name, per se, but it certainly does the Download half well, and isn't as useless as it might seem.

17. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I found the bundle to be well worth the $49 when you consider that Pixelmator, on its own, starts at $59.

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I bought it solely for SnapzPro, which by itself is normally $70. I downloaded all the other apps since they were there, but I'm sure I'll never use them. If Pixelmator had rulers and guides then I could use it as a sometimes Photoshop replacement, but as it is it's not much use to me.

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I just wanted to thank the person (whomever that may be) who used my link above to buy their Macheist bundle. I will certainly enjoy using LaunchBar!