Machine DOB/iBook DVD Capability

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kashchei, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I know that TechTool gives you the manufacturing date of a computer. I'd like to know if I can get that information without this program.

What I'm looking for is the drive capability of the 600 Mhz 20 GB HD iBook that I just bought. It won't even read a DVD and this seems odd to me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can also check it yourself by going to Finder, About This Mac, More Info, Disc Burning. Or, you can go to ATA instead of Disc Burning. Either way, I don't believe the SuperDrive was an option for the G3 600.

http://support.apple.com/specs/ibook/iBook_16_VRAM.html I believe you have the model on the left. Note the drive specifications.

4. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thanks to both of you, Fleetwood Mac and heatmiser. I had looked on mac-history but was misled since it said that the machine should be able to burn CDs and read DVDs (unless I read this wrong). Both the sites you suggested correspond to the machine's capabilities, so I feel better about things. Thanks very much for your help and happy holidays to you both!