Machine for Photo DVD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ProwlingTiger, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Hello,
    I'm looking to buy a Macbook or Pro as my current laptop is dying on me rather fast.

I am currently tasked with producing and burning roughly 40 DVDs of photos from a recent trip. I am curious if Macbooks come with a program that could help me in my task, as the DVD's have to be viewable on TVs and PCs. If not, is there such a program for Mac?

The answer will not affect my buying decision, as I plan to order a Macbook tonight.

Thanks for the help,

-PT11

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iPhoto Slideshow -> Export to iDVD

iPhoto is going to make a Quicktime file of the slideshow. You can use Toast, Burn, or VisualHub to make a quick DVD of that file without any DVD menus.

3. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Okay well the thing is though, I have to have the photos sorted in different folders, or a menu of some sort because the pictures were taken on different days. And...because my audience wouldnt be happy sorting through 2000+ pictures to find a certain one.

Any ideas on how a Macbook could help me sort these? I thought about looking for a program that could tag the pictures and make them searchable, but I doubt one exist that would help much.

4. mwchris macrumors regular

Quite easy!

1. Import the photo's into iPhoto.
    2. Organize the photo's into events as you like (This should be completed automatically by iPhoto though)
    3. Open iDVD go to preference, click slideshow, then choose always fit for TV safe and also click add originals to DVD-Rom (This gives computer access to the original files, but takes up space).
    4. Choose the theme you want.
    5. Build the menu you desire (like an initial menu to choose photos of video,In your photo menu instead of adding buttons, click the media tab, choose events, and drag each event on to the menu. It will create a title (usually the name of the event, but you can change it), automatically make it a slide show, and add the pictures to the rom.
    6. If you want to add music to the slide show, click media, then audio and drag the song you want over the words of the slide show title, and it will play that song during the slide show. (Unfortunatly you can only have one song per slide show, you can make it loop, or fit the pictures to the music. If you want multiple songs you need to use iMovie . . . if you want to do this just ask)
    7. Preview the project, make sure it is what you want. (Use the project info tab to check disk space).
    8. Burn the DVD.

There are other options for like the song and the slide show, accessible by double clicking the label for the event once it is in the menu.

Just play with it, it is not hard at all and works awesome! I created one last week with movies and pictures that was a full DVD with a pretty complex menu. It only took about 35 minutes to render and burn on my macbook.

If you have any other questions just ask.
    -Chris

5. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Wow, thanks for the nice guide! I most likely will be burning 2 copies of the DVD, 1 for slideshow, and another with all the high res images for photo enlargements to make posters, etc. I'm excited to get my Macbook now....!

Thanks for the help!

-Dan

6. mwchris macrumors regular

No Problem . . . I am always amazed at what can be accomploshed with the iLife suite!

Should you have any questions let me know and I will be glad to help!