Machintosh LC

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by squishy41288, Feb 20, 2008.

1. squishy41288 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Im new here and bought a Machintosh LC from Ebay that didnt come with the montior but the seller said it worked perfect. It was pictured with a monitor and appeared to be working. I also bought an apple RGB monitor (The one that often goes with the Apple IIGS) along with a ADB keyboard and mouse and also the 15 pin video cable to conect the monitor to the LC. Everything seems to work, the LC powers up with the usual "ding" sound and the monitor appears to power up with a green light but thats it! I get no screen at all. Its just blank, like something is disconnect (which it isnt, I checked) I dont think its the video cable either. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe its because I use the monitor for Apple IIGS and not the LC one? But if I remember right there pretty much the same. Everything was saito have worked and everything was from high rated sellers will 100 percent feedback. I remember using these exact computers in kindergarden which is why I am so determinded to get this to work

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, the problem is the IIgs monitor. It's not the same, even though it looks like it.

3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

The IIGS monitor doesnt support the resolution the LC is putting out.
    Display: up to 640x200 pixels in 4 true (16 dithered) colors, and 320x200 in 16 true colors.

Thats what the IIGS will put out, and that monitor was designed to only be used with the IIGS.

Thats your problem in a nutshell.

HELP! I'm stuck in a nutshell! :)

4. squishy41288 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol I thought that might of been the problem. But if I remembered correctly we only had LC's but I remember having IIg monitors too. But than again I was really young. Funny the random things I remember.

Well off to find the right monitor in ebay:rolleyes: Thanks all

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

These guys are right. You need a Macintosh monitor, not a IIgs one.

I might be able to confirm this if you want me to, I'd have to dig somewhere for my old LC II though...

6. squishy41288 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes gkarris, that be very helpful!

There isnt much on ebay, mostly just IIgs monitors

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that's awesome that you have a working LC... mine died... :(

8. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I have two original LC monitors. One color, one black and white. I'm not really selling them, my LC is dead but it was the first computer I bought and it's a bit sentimental to me.

9. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Give some of your old PC CRTs a try.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The LC will output to pretty much any PC display with an appropriate adapter, like this one.

11. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

He has one, he was just using an AppleII monitor which is too old. Anything made after his LC but before svga monitors should be fine.

12. squishy41288 thread starter macrumors newbie

Might have to settle for that. I didnt have much luck on ebay and dont have any CRTs lying around. I looked under applecolor RBG (I think thats what it was called) I gonna try looking again tomorrow for a monitor. Unless someone knows of any sites that might sell old monitors?

13. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

OK -- here is the real answer.

You are using the WRONG kind of Monitor. The LC and the LC II come standard with 256k of VRAM (upgradable) to 512k.

The monitor which is designed to work with the LC and LC II is the Apple Color High Resolution 12" RGB display. The display's native resolution is 512x384, same as the Color Classic. I have one of these monitors, which I can sell you, but they are expensive (this monitor goes for +$100 on eBay). If you upgrade the VRAM (with a VRAM chip) to 512k, you can support most standard Apple DB-15 pin displays (13", 14", 15") which run at 640x480. I believe you can still run these displays without the VRAM upgrade but you will not be able to drive the display at 256 colors.

Let me know if you want the display and maybe we can work out a deal. I also have a working LC II that I have fixed up with upgraded VRAM, Hard Drive, and 10MB of RAM