MacHospice -- Preparing for the End

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hrothgar, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

For various reasons, I think my 4-year old MacBook Pro is near the end. I have a few questions in preparation for this event:

1) If I get a new MacBook Pro, should it recognized and restore my old system from Time Machine that is backed up onto a WD Hard Drive?

2) I just put a new internal HD into my Macbook and upgraded to Snow Leopard. I also added to 2 RAM chips. Is it possible to buy the body of the a Macbook and transfer my old HD and RAM chips? I'm trying to handle the $2500 price for a new unit.

3) If I decide that Mac's not worth an extra $1,000 compared to a windows machine, can I transfer my iTunes library from Mac to the new Windows machine? I think everything else on my computer I can transfer over.

Thanks in advance.

2. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

If you get a new macbook pro, you should be able to take your old hard disk and just put it in the new laptop, and it will work fine.

What makes you think your mac is near the end, anyway?

3. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

But is there a way to buy a new unit without hard drive so I don't have to pay for what I don't need?

I dropped the notebook a month ago. The cd drive is a little hincky. It doesn't close quite right. Sometimes it doesn't want to start up.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

No there isn't. What I would suggest is getting an external inclosure and putting your current HD in it, or if your current one is better than the one that comes with your new computer swapping them out and putting the old one in the enclosure. It would also make things easy to transfer.