Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Irreverent, insensitive humor is right up my alley. I love telling a good rude joke and slapping someone in the back while laughing manically. Good times. My idea of a joke that landed is when a female says, “Oh my God, Robert. That’s so mean.” Or like on a Monday morning, going up the elevator with a girl from work and a few others from the building, and my colleague asks me, “So, what’d you do this weekend?” I reply, “Let’s see… I did a bunch of coke and a few hookers.” Some heads shake and people try to not laugh. :D Now, that’s funny.

That is just one (my favorite) side of my humor. My absurdity is also influenced by Seinfeld, Mel Brooks, Dave Chappelle, Martin Lawrence, Howard Stern (the list goes on…). You know, obnoxious types.

Of course, I cannot just write on these forums the same way I joke around in real life. It just wouldn’t translate the same.

How would you describe your sense of humor?
Examples...

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Offensive.

When I'm trying to get people to hurry up, I'll say something like this:

"Let's get this moving, I have things to see and people to do." :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Offensive.

When I'm trying to get people to hurry up, I'll say something like this:

"Let's get this moving, I have things to see and people to do." :)

Um, you say that all the time. ;)

My humor is pretty in your face and can be quite offensive. I post that way quite often. :D

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I do a lot of word-play and contort semantics. I think of different ways to take things literally that results in a humorous interpretation.

I've often thought of trying open mic to see if enjoy it :eek:

For instance, "I got married recently. Oh, she's great, but when they say mail-order bride, they mean it. Luckily, they poked some holes in the box," or "So, I did it-- I gave in to the e-mails and got penile enhancement. It's working out great, people really love the bucket seat. I'm thinking of adding handlebars."

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I prefer humour, tbh. :D

I'm very quick at word tricks, that actually come out pretty funny - if I do say so myself. I can be bitingly sarcastic if necessary, but generally I don't care for sarcasm. It's too easy, even with a little bit, to go too far and hurt someone's feelings.

My humour is deadpan (as some of you may know), usually dry, and usually word- or grammar-based. Once in a while, if my brain's really working someone can do or say something and I can spit out four or five creative one liners, one right after another... not unlike what Steve Martin did in Roxanne (in the bar scene.)

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
Irreverent, insensitive humor is right up my alley. I love telling a good rude joke and slapping someone in the back while laughing manically. Good times. My idea of a joke that landed is when a female says, “Oh my God, Robert. That’s so mean.” Or like on a Monday morning, going up the elevator with a girl from work and a few others from the building, and my colleague asks me, “So, what’d you do this weekend?” I reply, “Let’s see… I did a bunch of coke and a few hookers.” Some heads shake and people try to not laugh. :D Now, that’s funny.

That is just one (my favorite) side of my humor. My absurdity is also influenced by Seinfeld, Mel Brooks, Dave Chappelle, Martin Lawrence, Howard Stern (the list goes on…). You know, obnoxious types.

Of course, I cannot just write on these forums the same way I joke around in real life. It just wouldn’t translate the same.

Examples...

plain.gif
^

(^That)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Or like on a Monday morning, going up the elevator with a girl from work and a few others from the building, and my colleague asks me, “So, what’d you do this weekend?” I reply, “Let’s see… I did a bunch of coke and a few hookers.” Some heads shake and people try to not laugh. :D Now, that’s funny.

I'm all for some offensive humor, but this isn't even remotely clever. It's just kinda lame.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
I'm all for some offensive humor, but this isn't even remotely clever. It's just kinda lame.

It's not meant to be a clever joke, it's something absurd and improper. In typed words on a screen, it's not funny. It's all in the delivery. An idiot on an elevator saying that is just wrong. That, to me, is funny. I have a warped sense of humor. ;)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
It's not meant to be a clever joke, it's something absurd and improper. In typed words on a screen, it's not funny. It's all in the delivery. An idiot on an elevator saying that is just wrong. That, to me, is funny. I have a warped sense of humor. ;)

It's just so hackneyed. Meh, to each his own...:)

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
haha OP, hell yes! i love humour like this! the kind of inappropriate, insensitive humour which people just shake their head at but at the same time try not to laugh cause they know they shouldn't, but its damn funny. Good to know more people out here like this :) Anyone seen Jimmy Carr? A master of innapropriateness...

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Humor is many different things to many people. One person's joke is another's insult. But, words out of context are not funny. It is laregely in the timeing and delivery. Give Walter Cronkite Carlin's script for the "Seven Words You Can Never Say On TV" and have him deliver it...well, that might just be funny.

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
two more words: 'Stephen Colbert'

I love a deadpan delivery of something so offensive or twisted the listener is only 80% sure it's not serious.

I once had a long, serious discussion with a white friend who dated a black guy, and had some heartbreaking anecdotes of the intolerance they experienced. After commiserating for some time through her shock regarding people's insensitivity and myopic fear of anything different from their tiny world view, the conversation lagged. After an appropriate pause I added "yeah... but I still wouldn't date a Jew".
(I live for those moments when, as then, the listener's mouth opens, ready to castigate me for being a horrible, horrible person, and then realizes I'm having them on).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It depends. With my family it's a very sarcastic, insulting/cheeky sense of humour. With friends it's more a case of dropping in references or contorting words around a bit.

I find the delivery is the most important part of it. That's why I really don't find a lot of online humour that funny.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

Examples...

So basically, you don't think it's funny unless you belittle women. And, no - nothing you said above qualifies as "absurd". You might want to look up the definition of the word.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.