Mac'ing out my house

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jux69, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jux69 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have been a PC user for over 15 years and have finally seen the light of day and will be moving over to a full Apple system. I currently own an Iphone 4, Ipad 1 and Ipod Touch 2. It was these IOS devices that have led me to believe Apple's products are the best, great quality and ease of use.

I am moving into a new house in September and want to fully "Mac" it out. I will be replacing my main PC and 2 laptops with a Mac and then relying on IOS devices for the rest. I really feel like PC's and laptops are getting outdated, especially with iCloud coming and the Ipad 2 wireless mirroring.

My home is 3 levels and I will have a big screen hdtv display on each floor (master bedroom, family room and theatre room). I was thinking of getting 2 Ipad 2's (32gb), one for me and one for my wife, and apple tvs for all three big screens. This will allow us to do the whole wireless mirroring thing once IOS5 comes out. We both have Iphone 4's too but have not seen anything about being able to mirrors those. Also will Ipad 1 be able to mirror? As for my Mac, I am now thinking of getting the new Mac Mini ($799) and hooking that up to the family room hdtv as the central computer with wireless keyboard and trackpad. I will also be getting time capsule 2tb as well as a couple of airports expresses to get my music wireless playing around the house.

So what do you guys think? Am I missing anything? I was initially going to get an imac 27inch instead of the mac mini but I am now thinking I don't need such powerful of a PC. We will only be storing media, doing some light video and photo editing, etc. No gaming, I have my PS3 and Xbox 360 for that. My overall strategy is to have all of my media content available to me anywhere in the house, to be mobile and then have a central machine for heavier tasks, media storage and a reliable backup system.

Since I am an Apple noob I would appreciate any advice you guys have and if you see a better way for me to spend my money.

Thanks

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Sounds like a good plan but why not get a MacBook Air? You could get a stand and hook it up to all 3 tvs just as easily and take it on the go. Also I have two tvs one hooked up to an Apple tv and one to a Boxee Box I would recommend the Boxee Box for your theater room (wider selection,flash,plays any file I've thrown at it, great design). Good luck with your setup!