Macintelligent MI Pro - Any users, opinions?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Henri Gaudier, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I've just found this company - http://www.macintelligent.co.uk has anyone heard anything about them? Any users here? They're a lot more affordable than PearC - https://www.pearc.de/ I'm a musician looking for a main studio computer and so it has to be powerful, reliable and very quiet. More importantly a lot less than a Mac Pro (in price that is!) Any thoughts re advantages and pitfalls would be appreciated.

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Don't pay for a hackintosh. All those companies are using the work of open source volunteers and usually not paying them or even crediting them. It's a show of really bad faith, in addition to being what  actually despises (they won't mind if you build your own hackintosh).

If you can't buy a mac, please build your own hackintosh instead. There are guides and how-tos on the internet, and it will be cheaper than buying one made by these "companies".

3. Henri Gaudier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I'd never thought of that. I'll have to mull that over and see where I stand on it. Having said that, if Nokia win, will people be expected to not buy an iPhone? And be considered "bad" if they do? I don't follow Apple's corporate life but I do know they've faced lots of court cases; have they ever been found guilty of stealing themselves? I know the US has used its global signal intelligence systems to help American corporations win big deals over European companies. Plagiarism and downright theft are everywhere in commerce and it is genuinely impossible to be an ethical consumer. (I appreciate we should try though!)

Finally as for building one .. I don't have the necessary knowledge and I'm keen to get on with the studio/work. I'm coming off a long illness and a lot of work has gone into building the studio and so to face building a computer .. !!!??? Impossible. Can you explain in more detail specifically what Macintelligent have used/abused that caused you to write as you did? Cheers.

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

It's not MacIntelligent, specifically, but nearly all the Hackintosh sellers are companies that just ripped off work done by volunteers like Netkas here on the forums and the OSX86 project. Psystar is particularly guilty of this.

So people did work for free, released it as open source for the benefit of all, only to see it stolen, used for profit, and not even receive acknowledgement. That's pretty bad.

I don't think Nokia will win. It's a profit grab made using defensive patents, like many patent trolls and other companies are doing these days. Not only will Nokia not win, but nobody would think it bad to buy an iPhone, regardless.

People can argue that  copies things, but they engineer their own hardware and software. It's not even comparable.

As to building a computer, I'm no expert, but broadly speaking, it's just a matter of assembling the following components: Case, Motherboard, CPU, GPU, Hard drive/SSD, DVD drive, RAM, and installing the software.

Lifehacker put together a walkthrough:

http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack/build-a-hackintosh-mac-for-under-800-321913.php

I'm sure you can find other guides on the internet. Like I said, it's not worth giving money to these parasites. If all they're doing is assembling parts and installing OS X, well, you can do that too. No reason to pay someone else to violate a EULA for you, and PC component prices drop all the time.