Macintosh 512k with SCSI upgrade

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by aust7859, Jul 8, 2017.

1. aust7859 macrumors newbie

aust7859

Hello, I have a Macintosh 512k. It has a SCSI upgrade. It looks like a knock off of the Dove MacSnap SCSI upgrade card. I have an external drive. Unfortunately, I can't get the computer to recognize it. I have tried all of the system tools that I have. But when I try to locate the drive, I can't find it. I know the drive is working. I connected it to a drive using a SCSI DB-25 to 50 Pin cable. If anyone has any ides on what software to use so that I can recognize the drive that would be great.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 8, 2017 ---
    I finally got it to work. I formatted the external hardrive on my Macintosh Classic using disk tools. The Macintosh 512k, with upgrade card now recognizes the drive.

Attached Files:

2. MacTech68, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

We probably should check where Pin 1 of the SCSI connector on the upgrade PCB actually is. IIRC, the header soldered to the board is NOT keyed, and is a little UN-intuitive. Check around that connector for a white arrow head or large whit dot on the circuit board. The red stripe on the cable should be at THAT end.

Also, the SCSI bus is internally terminated - so that's good. Are you using a terminator on the external drive (normally required).

LATE EDIT: that will teach me to skim a post between jobs and miss the merged post