Macintosh and School

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Casey01, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Casey01 macrumors member

Nov 28, 2010
    So I'm going to bead heading off to college pretty soon (Next semester) and I've already decided to get a MacBook Pro. Mainly because my current one is about to die. It lasted me a long time though! :)

My question is:

-Will iWork be sufficient enough for college? or would I be better off getting Microsoft Office? or both?

-For photo editing, is the 13in big enough? I'll probably be using Aperture so I'm sure that fullscreen mode will give me all it can.

-Are there any Apps that would be good for a student?
  2. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2011
    Bay City, MI
    To answer you questions briefly (and congratulations on going off to school);

1) I would recommend getting office, primarily because everything that you will most likely need to do is in a document format that has been sufficiently compatible with the rest of the world - i.e - Microsoft... :)

2) I have a 13" MBP and I dabble into the photo aspect with my DSLR - Aperture is OK, but certainly not what you want to use if you are looking for some serious editing versions. I work with a few people and have some friends in that industry and swear by other programs like Lightroom (ease of use), etc.

3) Apps for students; Great question, I haven't been a student for a while but apps are a thing of a persons liking. Example, I would make apps of everything sports, news, the chive, how to learn programming etc. It's all a personal taste. After all, Apple's thing is "there's an App for that"...

Overall summary, great machine to consider, enjoy it and make it worth the price by maximizing what you need it for!:apple:
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    You'd be better off getting Office. Your school might have a licensing deal where you can get it at a steep discount, so it might be worth waiting until you get there.
  4. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

Nov 28, 2010
    Does Lightroom have a picture ogranizer that Aperture has? It was one of my favorite aspects of it.