Macintosh Classic II diode problem

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by frmac, Apr 9, 2016.

1. frmac, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

frmac macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new here. I was looking for a Macintosh classic II, and I found one for a good price. But, it has a problem. The announcer says it turns on but has a problem on the diodes due to the humidity and it's possible to work again. The question is:What is an diode? Can humidity affect diodes? What is the job of an diode on the computer? Is it easy to fix the problem? I hope somebody reply to my message. Thanks!

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

im not sure but capacitors on the motherboard and analog board would need to be replaced before you would even think about any troubleshooting. If he doesnt know that he has not even opened it up yet. Hopefully he removed the battery on the motherboard because if he hasnt its probably exploded and the acid is eating the board.

3. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Total agreement with @havokalien

Machines of this age will most likely require repair of some kind. I'm not sure that the seller's description comes from a strong knowledge-base.

I am somewhat concerned that you ask what a diode is, especially if you are going to attempt to repair this yourself. Can it be done? Certainly, but it requires a lot of patience, some more money and at least some soldering skills.

Is this the first vintage/collectible Mac you have purchased?

4. frmac thread starter macrumors newbie

No. I didn't purchased it. But I have already an Macintosh LC III which works fine and doesn't have leaking capacitors. I'm studying electronics and I didn't reached the part of the diodes yet. Thank you for you support.