Macintosh Color Classic HD Upgrade.

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by WillGonz, Aug 20, 2010.

1. WillGonz macrumors member

Hi All,
    So I purchased 6 Macintosh Color Classic's for $15 each with Apple IIe cards and Apple Ethernet cards. They are in excellent condition. They came with 60mb HDs. I would like to upgrade the HD with something bigger. What I would like to get is a SCSI to IDE to Compact Card convertor. I have seen some SCSI to IDE convertors. Ideally I would pop in a Compact Flash Card and partition it. What would really be cool is to remove the internal HD and replace it with a Compact Flash Reader and add a slot in the front so I can swap them out and boot.

Do any of you know of a product that will work and have actually used? I know there are some, but I want to be certain it will work with the Classic.

Thanks,
    WillGonz

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I don't have any personal experience, but you might want to try asking the guys over at the 68kmla. I know that SCSI-IDE-CF is a bit hit or miss with the older Macs - the only solution that seems to work consistently is the CF PowerMonster, which goes from SCSI straight to CF. The problem there is price though - it's $99, if I recall. Here's some more information on it:

http://lowendmac.com/mail/0801mb/0118.html#4

3. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

I've tried several cheap SCSI->IDE plugged into IDE->CF solutions, and all seem to fail on older macs when I go to partition and format. I have yet to find classic Mac software that will successfully do that step. I can see the "drive," and some seek-ish stuff works, but partitioning it always seems to fail with one of those cryptic numerical error messages.

I've had good luck with IDE->CF solutions in later PowerMacs that have internal IDE busses; that seems to work just fine.