Macintosh Color Classic refurb

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jamesjingyi, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Ok, so I didn't know where to put this so, here goes. I don't know what's wrong with that, if I plug in the power cable it will make fan noises and stuff but it wont boot :( What can I do?

2. AlbertEinstein macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

The only real way to know whats going on would be to take a look inside it. I think you will get more help in "Apple Collectors" sub-forum.:apple:

3. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Ok so i've looked inside and its not amazing... I found it in a skip but it did boot.... At one point.... So i hope i can get it working again :) But thanks, ill ask in the sub forum, thanks

4. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Color classic motherboard

Welcome to the color classic world.

First realize that is over a decade old. The motherboard has electrolyte capacitors on it that are most likely bad, along with the battery (which you should remove if you already haven't before it explodes and corrodes the motherboard)

Now the good news, with some elbow grease and some skill that you can learn with a starter kit at RadioShack you can fix it (buy the capacitors needed online somewhere)

First clean the motherboard. Ill probably get flame sprayed but thie process that works for me is to wash in the dishwasher, then scrub in sink with soap and water with a soft bristle toothbrush and wash again with heated dry on and let dry. That way it's ready to remove the old capacitors and resolder.

The capacitors are SMD (surface mounted). They look like little cans. Take the numbers down most will be 47uf 16v (volt). Replace those and most likely your Mac will be back to normal unless the scsi hard drive died also due to age.

Good luck.

5. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

^ This.

Some classic Macs continue to boot right up. But more often than not, the above is what you want to do. Inspect the board well, listen for HDD death-clicks, and make sure you're actually ready when you finally do get a grey screen with a question mark floppy.