Macintosh Color Classic Software install Problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Startech2020, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Startech2020 macrumors newbie

Startech2020

Hiya,

I trying to install some software on a newly acquire Macintosh Color Classic running OS 7.1. Can someone please give me directions to get software on to a floppy so I can import the software on to my Mac Color Classic.

I have a USB Floppy drive and a Ibook G3 Clamshell running OS 9.2.1

Any help is appreciated!

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

There are a couple of guys here that are good with 68k Macs, however, I would ask over on the 68kmla.org forums.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Although I've never tried it, I don't think you will have much luck making a bootable floppy with a USB drive.

Although it's less so with 1.44mb disks, Apple floppies are still "weird." If your images are for 800K disks, you're really up a creek as no USB drive I'm aware of can handle 800K disks(again, Steve Wozniak brilliance/Apple weirdness-PC floppies at the time were 720K).

Aside from buying a set of pre-made floppies, if you're going to mess with 68K computers much having a "bridge" machine can save your rear end. The 8600 and 9600 are often recommended, although a beige G3 works well also. If you want something portable, the Wallstreet and PDQ are good choices-just make sure you get a floppy drive with them!

4. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Need more info on the software. If they are .smi files, you can use Disk Copy (located in your utilities folder) to make floppy disks.

5. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

You can find System 7.1 on Macintoshgarden.org or WinWorldPC.com. Make sure you select the right image sizes (not 800k). You should be able to use Disk Copy 4.2, which is included with OS 9. If you open the disk image, Disk Copy should open automatically. Choose the image called Install 1 or something along the lines of that. Select copy disk, then insert the floppy. After it copies, stick the disk in and boot the Color Classic. It should boot off the floppy. Follow the directions. If you are limited with your available floppy disks, you can just rewrite over the same disk each time since it's done with that disk after it ejects.

Only problem I see with this is that it's a USB floppy as opposed to internal. It may or may not work, but worth a shot trying.

6. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

7. Startech2020 thread starter macrumors newbie

Startech2020

The software/application is Passport Alchemy 3.0.1. It is in a .Sit format. I managed to get it to Floppy (1.44MB), but the Mac Color Classic (Running OS 7.1) would not recognize it to install it. It did transfer the file to the hard drive on the Mac Color classic though.

Thank you for the replies!!!!

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

.sit is a Stuffit Expander file-basically the Mac "standard" compressed file format.

Many OS installs include Stuff-It. It should be in Applications/Utilities if it's there.

If not, it's available for download on The Garden.

Once the file is unstuffed, it should work fine-especially since you were able to get it onto your hard drive.