Macintosh HD Erase and Repair

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tomple, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

i am about to restore and repair my HD

i am going to put in the imac instal disk then go to disk utility from the boot screen and then hit repair and erase or whatever

i am doing this because i think my hard drive is screwed up and i cant back up and external WD drive (heres the thread about it http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=735505)

i did everything they told me in the thread and it didn't work so i am about to do this. i was just wondering if anyone knew if i was doing this right and if there is anything i should do before this, also if there is any point to what im about to do.

Thanks in advance

2. obrien234 macrumors regular

SHould be fine.

You'll find Disk Utility as an option in a dropdown menu from the menubar after you start up with the install disk.

Just in case I would back up anything really important (essential documents, etc) onto a thumb drive or DVD in the tragic event that something happens to your internal drive (pretty low chances.)

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Very low chances anything would happen to your internal hd. You aren't modifying it at all. If you follow the instructions that were suggested on the thread you will be fine. Just make sure you follow the instructions and be completely sure you select your external HD and not your internal. If you select your internal you will erase everything and that will not be good.

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Well, Dawg already said to do just that:

And you said you did it and it didn't work. So why start a new thread just to try the same thing again?

Anyway, I hope it works for you this time. And no, there's nothing special to know about before doing this. If the drive isn't busted it should just work.

5. Tomple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tomple