Macintosh HD icon

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by woodekm, Dec 9, 2010.

1. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Why wont my Macintosh HD Icon ( on the desktop) allow me to view the contents of my HD. (applications folders etc). Im using my Mini.

It just changes color when I click and then nothing. I dont already have it open, I rebooted, and everything else opens fine, i just want to open my HD folder to see/use the contents.

What am I missing? (And I know its me.)

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version do you use?
    And does double clicking the Macintosh HD icon work?
    What about using a new Finder window and clicking the Macintosh HD alias in the Devices list (Sidebar)?

3. woodekm thread starter macrumors 65816

woodekm

V 10.5.8

No, for some reason double clicking the icon just darkens the color like normal (except for the whole opening thing :))

Hmmm. The finder in the side tray has the same result. Nothing opens. But, if I right click on Finder in the tray, and pick "New finder window", the window Im looking for, opens.

4. simsaladimbamba

With "tray" you mean the Dock?
    And when you select "New Finder window" does it show you the contents of Macintosh HD (Applications, Library, System, Users, ...) or the same, as if you would just use the CMD+N keyboard shortcut? And what is set in Finder >>> Preferences >>> General >>> New Finder window opens:?

5. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Someone in my office accidentally set the double click speed to high once and couldn't open anything. Check that out, sometimes the simple things work.

6. woodekm thread starter macrumors 65816

woodekm

OK.... A little embarrassed here, but my mini is set up for dual monitors. :eek:

Dont ask me how this happened, but my secondary monitor is off (I dont use it often) and I guess when I was clicking the HD icon, it sent the open folder to where the "off" monitor is and I couldn't see it. I found this out by accident by dicking with my screen resolution. It made everything (icons dock etc) HUGE, so I unplugged my secondary monitor and everything went back to normal (including the HD folder icon.) :eek:

Thanks for the help , even though it was my stupidity.

Thanks again,
    W

BTW.... I meant dock but was thinking "system TRAY". sad.