'Macintosh HD' not showing at startup or Disk Utility

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by honorlove, May 13, 2014.

1. honorlove macrumors newbie

Hello. Everything was working fine last night until this morning when I went to wake my computer up out of sleep mode. I noticed the login screen was frozen so I restarted the computer and then was greeted by the osx utilities screen. Went into disk utility and it only showed my hard drive and disk0s2, not macintosh hd.

I went in to the apple store and they basically said they couldn't do nothing further more than to I guess reinstall osx and referred me to a data recovery place who was charging more than I expected to try and recover my data. I was wondering if there is any software that would help me recover anything (diskwarrior?) being that I do not have an recent back up.

Also I get the invalid journal/ b-node code when I try to verify the drive as well

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Nothing to offer in the assistance area but I just had the same thing happen to me. Woke up the computer, locked up on login screen and now I get the circle with a line thru it symbol. Luckily I have a back up and a warranty on my hard drive. I've used disk warrior before and it tends to work well.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

First, tell us what Mac you have (what model, what year).

There are ways to recover data from a failed drive that won't mount.

You could try DiskWarrior first. But be advised: all DW can do is to attempt to rebuild the drive's directory. If the problems are elsewhere, DW might not be able to fix them.

You are going to need ANOTHER drive, too. I suggest you consider buying a USB3/SATA docking station (go to amazon.com and enter "usb3 sata dock" into the search box to see what these are). Also, you may need a "bare" drive to go into the dock.

Data recovery is possible, so long as your drive doesn't have actual "hardware-related" problems (won't spin, broken drive heads, etc.).

But it can be a tedious process and requires a learning curve and perhaps some money spent, as well.

Again -- what Mac, what model, what year?

4. honorlove thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a 13" Macbook pro, bought it last year so I guess 2013 version? The thing with Diskwarrior is I didn't want to purchase it and it didn't work. Now I do have a external I was using to do backups on my previous macbook, could that work?

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Since the computer is a relatively new MacBook Pro, is it still under warranty?

At the very least, if it's under warranty, and if the internal drive has failed, Apple ought to replace it. BE ADVISED: if this is done, you probably won't get your data back off the old drive.

You said you already have an external drive that was used for backups with the old MacBook.
    What did you use to CREATE the backups?
    Did you use Time Machine, or something else?

If you used Time Machine, can you do this:
    - Connect backup drive
    - Boot MacBook and hold down the option key at startup until the startup Manager appears
    - Do you see the "presence" of the external drive?
    - Does it by any chance have a recovery partition on it?
    - Can you select the EXTERNAL recovery partition, and get some kind of boot that way?

Get a piece of paper and take some notes as you go along.

Come back with the answers to those questions....

6. honorlove, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

honorlove thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have AppleCare and on my old MacBook I used time machine to do my backups. I had snow lepard on that computer I believe. I'm going to go to the store and buy a new USB for my external because the wire ripped smh but I will try that and get back to you.

Side note, I tried the target disk mode with another Mac and what popped up was 10.9 recovery drive, does that mean the data is completely gone or just locked somehow?

UPDATE

Ok my external doesn't show up when I boot the MacBook with alt key, just the recovery drive. And then when I go to time machine backups, saying its none to show for..

7. honorlove thread starter macrumors newbie

this is what comes up when i try to repair disk [​IMG]

8. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

To me that screenshot says 'buy DiskWarrior': your startup partition is logically shot, rather than your disk being physically shot.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I do see some of those specific errors listed here on the Disk Warrior page of things it can fix, so it might be worth a try.

The way you described this happened, it does sound like you have a bad drive there though. Even if DW is able to recovery your data, I would replace the disk.

10. honorlove thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm interesting. Ill look into that.

On another note, I have another question. Can I install osx on a external drive I have and be able to boot the MacBook from that? And is there a way to install it on the external without wiping away the data I have already on there?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... you can do that. Just shrink the partition that the data is on then add a second partition for the OS. Then when you install OS X just point it to that partition for the install. Then you can option key boot to it.

12. honorlove thread starter macrumors newbie

Now how do I make the extra partitions so I don't erase the content? Want to make surei don't do that

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just follow this guide to resize (shrink) the main partition. Then click the plus at the bottom left to add the second partition. This will not erase the contents of the first partition.

14. honorlove thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I ended up installing OSX on a flash drive and using Diskwarrior on my hardrive. it said that the original drive was severely damaged but it was able to recover some files. Now I wonder if an app like data rescue would have been able to recover more or no..

15. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Thankfully I haven't had to use DiskWarrior or Data Rescue in years, but I think it's still the case that DiskWarrior is the only consumer-level tool that will reconstruct the directory. Usually, this will 100% restore your disk and data to its former state without any need for 'file recovery'.

If the directory is buggered beyond all recognition and DiskWarrior can't fix it then I don't think that a file recovery program like Data Rescue is going to have much luck. There's no harm in downloading the trial version, though: while it won't allow you to retrieve your data, it will show you what if anything is retrievable.

I'm curious about your results, though, because always found DiskWarrior to be 'all' or 'nothing'. Did you use the 'scavenge' feature?

16. honorlove thread starter macrumors newbie

Well DW said it was severely damaged and I believe it did the scavenge mode by itself cause of how "damaged" it supposedly was. It stated that it could not compare the original and new directory because it was damaged. It gave me some of my files back but when I go to applications I have some folders there that's empty but the rescued items folder have subfolders in them I just don't know where half of them would go. Like for instance I see alot of adobe content files in some folders but I wouldn't know which app it goes to, that's the confusing part.

Also, being that I already did the rebuild with DW, would data rescue still be able to look for the old files or no?

17. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I don't believe that DW automatically scavenges, although it might offer to do so once the initial directory rebuild has failed. You might as well see if the 'scavenge' works – hold down the option key and 'rebuild' changes to 'rebuilt...'. The difference is that DW is checking the *entire* disk for chunks of directory, rather than simply the areas where it thinks the directory should be.

In the absence of a valid directory I'm afraid you're not going to be able to retrieve anything as useful as folder structure and file names: whatever software you use it's going to be textdoc0001.txt, textdoc0002.txt etc etc.

Unless you want to sift through that lot then I think all your hopes lie with DW.

I *believe* that DW scavenging is entirely non-destructive but you might want to hold off for a few hours just in case a grown-up wanders past and offers a more informed opinion!

18. honorlove thread starter macrumors newbie

here's the statement DW said which is why I stated that it probably did the mode by itself "
    The original directory is severely damaged and it was necessary to scavenge the directory to find file and folder data.! !
    Some file and folder data may be missing, and some files that had been lost or thrown away may have been recovered"

19. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Okay... a bit of further Googling suggests that my earlier statement about scavenging 'checking the *entire* disk for chunks of directory' is wrong. It sounds as if DW has gone as far as it can, although I would suggest you still try the option-key 'rebuild...' mode.

If that doesn't work (I suspect it won't) then do try the Data Rescue demo, which will quickly give you an indication of what it considers to be recoverable (I suspect it won't be much).

Short of spending a four figure sum on a data recovery service, I very much fear that...

[​IMG]

20. honorlove thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol I did that mode and it gave me the exact same results as the first time which were some or my files. I may try the data rescue next but then I think I'm going to just wipe it clean and reinstall. Do I just erase the drive in disk utility and reinstall?

21. Fishrrman macrumors G3

The OP wrote above:
    [[ I think I'm going to just wipe it clean and reinstall. Do I just erase the drive in disk utility and reinstall? ]]

This can work, but ONLY if there is no "physical damage" to the drive itself.

My suggestion:

1. Get whatever you can off the drive, while you can.
    2. Re-initialize the drive with Disk Utility
    3. TEST THE DRIVE using DU's "repair" button.
    4. What are your results with a newly-initialized drive?
    5. If the drive checks out as "ok", no faults reported, REPEAT THIS PROCEDURE about 6 or 7 times. Is the result the same, EVERY time?
    6. You should also check the drive's overall physical health with something like "SMART Utility" or "SMART reporter". Are the results good?

Once you do all this, then it's time to do a fresh OS install.

If the MacBook Pro has a spinning HDD, might be a good time to think about buying and installing an SSD...