"Macintosh HD" not showing up in desktop or device

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by klcc88, Feb 28, 2008.

1. klcc88 macrumors member

as per above, I just purchased a new MBP and not sure how but managed to delete my Macintosh HD icon on my desktop. I did a spotlight search and can't find it and also was not able to locate it on the finder. I brought it into the apple store and the so called experts took my MBP for 30mins and came out telling me to go home and reinstall my system disc to fix the problem....well heck it takes a while to reinstall and still does not appear. I've located it through the disk utility and when I try to install it as a "new image" it gives me the error "unable to create "Macintosh HD.dmg" (Resource busy) "

Any help in getting this icon back onto my desktop would be appreciated....also to note as when I see the macintosh hd when I open disk utility, under mounting point it has a "mounting point :/ could this be a the issue? the format is also (journaled)

Thanks for your advise...

Cheers

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Under Finder Preferences, General, make sure, under "Show these items on the desktop" Hard Disks is checkmarked.

3. klcc88 thread starter macrumors member

Yup....tried that as well....although it is checked, still not showing up....sigh...still trying

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you use the Menus Go->Computer or Go->Home. The first one it should appear in the window. The other, then hold down the command key and click on the title in the window and move down the list.

TEG

5. klcc88 thread starter macrumors member

I had my Macintosh HD screen come up and went into the menus under go but the Mac HD doesn't appear...that's the problem and when I click home with command...just opens up another window....sigh

6. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try the setfile suggestion or my suggestion on the last page.

8. klcc88 thread starter macrumors member

ok...I think I'm getting there....the only thing I need to do now is to search for the file com.apple.sidebarlists.plist of which I'm having a heck of a time locating....I'm presuming this file is valid....and I'm just an idiot at this moment not being able to locate it. I've tried finder and spotlight and still can not find...sigh.

I now have the macintosh hd icon on my desktop...just wanted to get it onto my finder but can't drag and drop......

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the com.apple.sidebarlists.plist file is in your home Library in the Preferences folder.

Leopard's spotlight doesnt show system files by default. you need to add a search attribute into Finder's search. to do this press command-F in the Finder, click on the "Kind" attribute and click "Other...", look for "System files" and tick "In menu" then and press ok, change System files to "include" and then search for "sidebarlists" with "File Name" selected. you should see it there. delete it and relaunch the Finder by option+right-clicking on Finder's dock icon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. klcc88 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all. Since I purchased my MBP 2.2mhz last Sunday and it was withing the 14day return period I brought it back to my local applestore for an exchanged. As most of you already know they just updated all their specs on the MBP so I was able to get the new specs from 2.2mhz to 2.4, from 120g HD to 200gHD, from 128 to 256, standard lcd to LED backlid and also it was cheaper by $100 so got that back as well....great service...I showed up with my old unit, they took the box to the back, came back out in 5mins with the new and improved unit and said thank you and sorry for not telling about the spec change as they did not know it themselves and gave me the $100 difference!

11. millermz macrumors newbie

Thanks!

My friend and I had this question and thanks to google we were directed to this thread. The answer was spot-on and helped a lot! Thanks. :D

12. eyecoin macrumors newbie

WOO HOO! This worked on mine. I just installed Snow Leopard on my laptop to sell, and there was no HD. Got it back. Thanks

13. kenneth-mkng macrumors newbie

Thanks

I just did a clean installation of snow leopard, and the Macintosh HDD was gone on my desktop. Tks for this post, now it's back. :)

14. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Thanks Batt! I know this thread is 4 years old now but it defintely helped me out!
    Google + MacRumors + People Like You = WINNING

92,481 views and 13 comments?!?! REALLY?!... lol :eek:

15. wemweb macrumors newbie