Macintosh HD not showing up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Astra92, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Astra92 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Forgive me if this is a noob question, but I haven't yet found a working solution.

A few months ago I removed the DVD drive from my MacBook Pro 8,2 and successfully installed the factory hdd (750GB Toshiba) into that slot. I also successfully installed an SSD into where the old HDD sat and this setup worked fine for the past few months.

Recently, however, and I say this because I assume that Yosemite may be the culprit in this debacle, I noticed that the 750GB Toshiba HDD (still labeled Macintosh HDD) was no longer found within the OS and software that was installed there displayed as needing to be installed again (i.e. no link to the installation on the Toshiba 750GB HDD exists).

Has anyone else had this issue of a mysteriously disconnected HDD installed in their DVD bay? I am hoping that there is some software issue rather than a problem with the hardware connections inside of the Mac. Thanks for any help :)

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As mentioned see if it shows up in Disk Utility. The drive could have failed or maybe the cable was jarred loose. I don't think Yosemite would cause a drive to go completely MIA

4. Astra92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to mention, the drive does not in fact show up in Disk Utility (was one of the first things I checked when I realized something was amiss).

I guess I'll check the physical connections, but anyone have any other ideas?

5. deathdruid macrumors member

If connections seem fine, you can also test the HDD in an external enclosure to make sure it is still working.

6. Astra92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update on this topic!

I was able to test the HDD in an external enclosure and it seems to work just fine.

Could my problem be the optical drive caddy that I bought? Because the computer was able to recognize another drive that I put in (but that 2.5" drive was just a test, it's SATA III and not the SATA II that the optical drive caddy requires).

I am currently using this caddy http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058AH2US/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1, but was thinking of trying out an OWC one instead. Any thoughts?