Macintosh HD partitioning problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marcel-v, Jan 17, 2011.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I just bought an old version of Windows XP and attempted to install it via Boot Camp. I Allocated 50GB to this and after having problems with the installation decided to erase the new partition. But now my HD is 50GB smaller.

Is it still possible to consolidate this HD space or will I have to do a full system restore?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Did you use BootCamp Assistant to delete the partition or did you just try to delete it with Disk Utility? The preferred method is to use BootCamp Assistant.

3. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

It was with Disk Utility?

How do they make a difference?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I believe deleting the partition with Disk Utility leaves traces, but I can't give a technical explanation (perhaps someone else will).

Here is Apple's document

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Boot Camp Assistant will resize your OS X partition for you after the Windows partition is removed, while Disk Utility won't. You need to drag the lower right corner of the OS X partition down manually to reclaim the space as part of your OS X partition.

B

6. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks 'balamw' for clearing that up. Does a procedure exist to allow me to reclaim the HD space lost after having deleted the partition through Disk Utility?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

8. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant, thanks again. So my colleagues at work basically informed me that it is a difficult to install Windows via Boot Camp with an external disc drive (which I use now because my internal one has failed). Therefore Boot Camp both failed to create a Driver Disc and install from the Legit Windows XP CD. Is there anything I can do to make my iMac believe that my external disc drive is my built in one?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

External optical drive I presume? No, unfortunately that's hit or miss depending on the external optical drive hardware it seems.

There is a workaround that always seem to work in the "without super drive" thread. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414&highlight=without+super+drive

Basically you use Parallels/VMWare to get the files on the Boot Camp partition up until the first reboot and then reboot natively. The other workaround (using a throwaway internal partition) only works for W7 and Vista.

B