Macintosh HD permissions changed to "no access"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tomu570, May 18, 2009.

1. tomu570 macrumors newbie

White MacBook running Leopard gets stuck at grey start up screen with spinning wheel after the Sharing & Permissions for everyone on the "Macintosh HD" was changed to "no access".

I booted off of system disk and ran Verify Permissions and that gave me the message " Disk Utility stopped repairing permissions on "Macintosh HD" because the following error was encountered: The underlying task reported failure on exit"

Archive and Install failed as well.

Tried booting off of Disk Warrior CD but MacBook kept restarting while holding down the C-key.

Luckily I did a back-up last week using Time Machine. But I would still like to refrain from a clean install if I can help it. There were a few new files and installs that occurred after the last back-up. Albeit not a major problem.

So now I'm trying to change Permissions for the HD using Terminal. Current settings listed below.

total 12
    d-wx-wx-wt@ 2 root admin 1024 May 18 06:50 .Trashes
    --w--w--w- 1 root admin 4096 May 18 06:50 ._.Trashes
    drwxrwx---@ 47 root admin 1666 May 18 06:57 Macintosh HD
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin May 18 06:32 Mac OS X Install DVD

But when I use the "chmod 755 Macintosh\ HD/" command in the Volumes Directory I get

"chmod: Macintosh HD/: No such file or directory.

Are their 3 spaces in that command? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks to all who reply.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You messed it up. However others have done it before. Search the threads and you'll find the answer.

3. tomu570 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for being so helpful. I have searched and found nothing other than what I've tried. Hence the post.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

google:
    change permission no boot site:forums.macrumors.com

5. tomu570 thread starter macrumors newbie

chmod 1775 /Volumes/"HARD DRIVE" did the trick!

Apparently you must use quotation marks when your volume's name has a space in it.

Other posts have mentioned the fsck -f thing in single user mode and chmod 755 in the in the Volumes Directory through Terminal and they just didn't work in this case.

6. AGuzman macrumors newbie

cmod 777 /volumes/"Macintosh HD" worked

cmod 777 /volumes/"Macintosh HD" worked