Macintosh iivx

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Ih8reno, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I'm trying to use an old Macintosh iivx I acquired but the cd rom doesn't seem to work. The extension is in the Mac but when i click to use the Apple cd remote it says there is no driver in the settings directory. The Mac is running os 7.1, any help anybody could give me would be appreciated!

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Which type of CDROM drive does your IIvx have? The original caddy type or a tray type?

Is there a CD in the drive? What kind - audio, Mac, ISO9660, hybrid?

I would highly recommend installing Apple CD-ROM Software v5.3.2 which can be installed on System 7.1 or later and does include a LOT of fixes since the earlier v1.x.x and v2.x.x.

You can get it here:
    ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/pub/mac/m...play-Peripheral/CD-ROM_Software_5.3.2.sea.hqx

3. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

do you have another link? it doesn't open on my computer. Also its the one with the caddy type. As for cd's I've tried many from music to software and nothing happens.

4. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

The drive may have worn out pickups, but try the CDROM Installer:

Zipped since the forum doesn't recognize .hqx

Attached Files:

5. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Software installs but then it says there is no CD-ROM drive installed when I open the app. Could the drive just have failed?

6. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Hmmm.. Open the machine, and check the power and scsci cables. Pics ?

Also, check the SCSI bus with SCSIProbe if you have it.

7. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

all the wires are connected, even popped off the cd tray front cover and the cd player inside is lit up showing it has power.

8. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Ok. Try SCSIProbe and tell me what it sees. It should show up at ID3.

You should only see 2 entries. One at SCSI ID 0 (the HD) and one at SCSI ID 3 (the CDROM drive).

Attached Files:

9. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

10. MacTech68, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014

MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

I forgot that the Mac itself shows up at ID 7 - so you should have 3 IDs showing.

OK. Here's my theory.

The SCSI cable on these cases (IIvx, Quadra 650 etc) is VERY short.

When you disassemble the machine, and lift the large metal drive cradle, the SCSI cable can become unplugged. Sometimes only one side is lifted, and it generally looks fine when it does.

The cradle only needs to be lifted about an inch for the cable to be pulled out. Not only that but putting the cable back into the motherboard socket is a REAL PAIN IN THE A$#. IIRC, it has a stupid miss-alignment with the CDROM socket so the cable is strained to one side. The floppy cable also creates great interference with the SCSI cable. It's a really bad design.

Be very careful of this chassis - it can slice your hands quite easily. Rumor has it that it was so bad that it resulted in the 7200/7500 style case that was more technician friendly.

The most likely problem is the connector on the back of the CDROM drive. You'll see that it's a strain from the SCSI drive to the CDROM drive. The floppy cable has to pass in front of the SCSI cable to reach the motherboard connector too.

EDIT: This may help in disassembly: Note that the power supply MUST be removed to lift the drive cradle.

http://www.micromac.com/instructions/P600_2_Q650/index.html

11. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Checked it's all connected. Thanks for the help but I'm thinking the drive itself is toast.

12. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Strange, but not impossible given it's age, I guess.

The only problem is, if it's a caddy loading, the case's drive bezel won't suit a tray-loading CDROM drive. Two types are available.

922-0404 Caddy Bezel (embossed P/N 815-1414)
    922-0800 CDROM Bezel (embossed P/N 815-1683)

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

These IIvx/Performa 600's are rare - neat that your are preserving one... ;)

14. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

It's not the prettiest Mac I've gotten but seems to work just fine (except the cd drive). Great price though, given to me free.

15. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Rare? Really? Sure seemed like they were plentiful to me.

OTOH, the IIvi .. much less.