Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LesCharles73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum and recently picked up an LC III. Pretty nostalgic for me since these are what we used in elementary school!

Anyway, I'm having an issue. The first time I started it up, all was well. I was able to have a look around and even access some 1993 Word documents from the HDD. Then I shut it down and moved on to other things. Later when I turned it back on, it booted normally but went straight to the "Pyro" screen saver. Nothing I do seems to stop it.

I did manage to insert a disk, allow it to try to read, to which it gave a sad face error. Then I popped the cover on the computer, manually removed the disk, and rebooted. It booted normally again, allowed me to move the cursor, but then threw up the Pyro splash screen and went back in to screen saver without giving me a choice. Just plain 'turning it off and back on' sounds the welcome tone but goes straight to screen saver. It's a cool SS, but it's staring to get a little old!

Does anyone know what I can do to commander this old Macintosh?

Thanks!

Les

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
When you first turn it on, before getting the "happy Mac", does the pointer move as you move the mouse? It sounds like it might be getting stuck in the top left, which may be set as a hot corner to activate the screen saver.

Edit: Never mind; you already said that you can move the pointer. Perhaps try resetting PRAM, although I'm at a bit of a loss now!

LesCharles73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
I will double check that. The last time I booted it, I was actually moving the pointer all over the screen when it started the screen saver. It seems like it was just dead set on not letting me do anything else.

By the way, thanks for the quick reply!! I'm just getting started and hope to buy an SE soon -- once I get this one working properly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.