Macintosh LC III

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by froggytreafrogg, Jun 30, 2008.

1. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Hi, I am trying in vain to get the Macintosh LC III running. (codename: Pizza Box Mac) I have a set of diskettes of system 7.5.3 that i know are good and i am trying to load sys 7.5 onto the old mac. For some reason, the destination disk only show the install floppy disk when it should show the floppy disk and the hard drive. however, it does not show the hard drive, thus i cannot install 7.5. Any Vintage tips.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

looks like a hard disk problem. Is the hard disk getting power? double check that both the power and data cables are connected properly between the hard disk and logic board. If you have a spare SCSI data cable, try swapping data cables. Alternately, you might have a bad hard disk, or, worst case, a dead SCSI controller on the logic board.

Remember: the hard disks in machines of this era are over a decade old, and failures are more likely, especially if the machine spent time in a damp garage or basement.

3. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

matter o fact, it did sit it a junk pile at a school for several years. i have tried another scsi cable and i'm positive that its getting power. i even tried another scsi hard drive that came out of an old Commodore Amiga. I'm have an idea that the amiga hard d was out too. (the amiga didn't boot) However, i also read on another forum that a dead system battery could cause the problem. Is this true? I'm also thinking that the HD is toasted.

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

my LC first generation died years ago and I still blame the 'tech' who diagnosed a dead motherboard that he didn't change the battery.

5. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

thanks for response. What was wrong with you LC?

6. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

some scary noise an a sad mac icon at startup. het took out the HD and built it in an external case to recover my data.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A dead CMOS battery could cause problems - it should be replaced. The best thing is to test the system with a known good hard disk and cable. Otherwise, it will be impossible to tell where the problem lies.

8. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Thanks for responding. I'll try at wal*mart and radioshack for a battery like the little blue one in it. if i cant find one locally, i'll order one of the 'net