Macintosh + Mathematica poster....real?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by JoeFkling, May 1, 2013.

1. JoeFkling, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013

JoeFkling macrumors regular

My parents had a poster that they got from aunt when she worked at Macworld magazine from 90-92 (at least they think that is where they got it from). After receiving it and putting it in a basic frame for now I am starting to think it might be a reprint but I have no basis to think one way or the other. How could I find out if it is real? I can provide any info for anyone to help me along. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

adding 2 additional images
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JoeFkling thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing? Bummer. Just trying to find out anything I can about it for my own knowledge. Its not going anywhere and gonna be better framed behind UV glass this weekend. Just like to know some history about it. Hopefully someone has some knowledge.

3. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

4. JoeFkling thread starter macrumors regular

ahhh excellent. At least thats something. I have been looking all over. Couldnt find it in any of the literature for apples past ad campaigns or anything online. I figure someone has to know aobut it. I found a listing on craigs list that was old and someone wanted like $10k for it and I just shook my head and laughed. Plus I couldnt see the full listing anymore.

5. Fralle, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013

Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

I had no idea this poster exsisted! I'm an apple collector but my speciality is not posters. I have quite a few posters, both new and old. Your poster seem authentic to me. I can't say for sure, it just seem that way...and its cool it were produced 10 years before the "Think Different" campaign!

Apple poster collecting is a jungle. I have seen instructions on how to determine if a poster is authentic or not, that are completely wrong. I have seen pictures from respected collectors, even on this forum, which have reproductions on their wall.

You can't turn to Apple with your inquiry, they couldn't care less. The company is allive thanks to its customers, but they don't care about us, only our money! I would have liked Apple to be a little more humble...

Its probably rare and quite valuable to some collectors. Most people wont pay 5$ for it :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing this with us :)

--------------------------------------------------------------
    (edit)

When looking closely at the video on youtube I'm beginning to have doubts...Its not the same picture of Einstein, and the font on your poster doesn't seem to match. :confused:
    Different versions???

6. MacTech68, May 3, 2013

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

It would seem so. Even the large text on the bottom portion seems to be placed differently.

I'm pretty certain I saw the OP's version years ago, and NOT the rather odd looking photo of Einstein that is in the video.

I even unskewed and cropped the OP's version and threw it at google 'search by image' and.... nothing.

The font is the same as can be seen at the end of the video.

Attached Files:

7. Fralle, May 3, 2013

Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

Wow, you are right. Didn't see it all the way to the end ;)

It's not the same picture of Einstein, but everything else look authentic to me! I think its a genuine poster, but a different version than the one in the video!

Look under the chin...in the video the black text field starts directly under his chin, but on the OP:s poster you can even see the collar. Look at the eyes. In the video he looks at you to the right (his). The OP picture more straight on. The lip under the mustache in the video is in shadow from a very BIG mustache, in OP:s picture...not in shadow!

8. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

My thoughts exactly. :)

9. JoeFkling thread starter macrumors regular

you guys are like super sleuths. lol. Excellent! Well Im proud to hang it, real or not. Now to get it into a proper frame behind proper glass.

10. tdiaz macrumors 6502

In the end.. the poster does it's job. "Fake" or "Real", the intent is to have something on the wall, from an era they wish to be associated with.

Again, just what is a "reproduction", if two items are made in exactly the same mannor? Is it who issued the PO for it?

Sure, I get the "1st printing", etc. except these things are not labeled that way at all.

If you want something that someone swears came from the original tube, from the original day it was mailed, and never been opened, great. If you want the design on your wall, and pay $15 bucks for it, great.

If the guy selling it for $15 bucks is claiming it's from the original tube, he's full of it, and deserves to be called on it.

But in the end, there are even some "fakes" that look a lot better than the "real" ones.

But there is only one Mona Lisa, every other one is "fake", and that does not stop perhaps millions from displaying it.

In the end, it's a graphic depiction of an Apple computer-centric theme, to provide ambiance to a place, a room, etc.

11. Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

I'm not going to debate this with you, you know very well my firm opinion. A question though. Do you think its ok with all the bad "think different" reproductions coming out of Germany, fooling people to believe they buy an "original" poster from a late 90s Apple campaign. I have seen collectors hang bad fakes on their walls with their hearts swelled with pride and huge holes in their pockets :rolleyes: I do not think they see it as mere "ambience to their room".

----------

Hahaha...I had to google the word "sleuths" :D
    Not a word I use on a daily basis ;) Again, congratulations to a great and a very unusual poster!

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Appears to be real - great find - maybe someone at Wolfram Research would know more about it....

13. JoeFkling thread starter macrumors regular

I e-mailed them yesterday so I hope to hear a response in the next couple of weeks.

14. JoeFkling thread starter macrumors regular

Got a response from Nigel at Wolfram and he is looking into it for me. He found this thread so Hi Nigel! Can't wait to find out anything about it and if there are other posters from that time that I can seek out. Ill keep you all informed.

15. Rwahlst macrumors newbie

Mathematica poster

I doubt it's a copy - I worked for an Apple dealer in the 80's and i have 2 of them. I would guess only Apple K-12 dealers had it.

16. JoeFkling thread starter macrumors regular

The wolfram insider that was sent out today has a history on the 25 years of mathematica and a photo gallery. Under the ver1 gallery they had the einstein image so that was nice to see. I am still enjoying having it on my wall.

17. Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

Ahh...there it is! Confirmed then :)

http://www.mathematica25.com/

18. Brian is Fremont CA macrumors newbie

Brian is Fremont CA

--- Post Merged, Aug 6, 2016 ---
    HI I just found the same poster today got it from a guy who's wife worked at apple in the 80's. This poster was for internal use only and she got it from the office sort of by stealth. I got mine a bit distressed for 1$. I think it is rare will have to see what kind of demand there is for it. I am posting mine on Ebay low starting bid and see how high it goes.