Macintosh Performa 636

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by macgeek18, Mar 5, 2010.

1. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Hey all,I just got a Macintosh Performa 636 for free off of craigslist.It has what I believe is 33Mhz,20MB of ram,and a 250MB HD.And it's running OS 7.5.1 It's quite cute and has the keyboard,mouse,monitor and all the cables and an external CD drive.So,what do you guys think?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think you'll be giving it away for free on craigslist within a month.

3. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Maybe,doubt it though,I always wanted an older Mac that works for a empty corner in my room.

4. Oyobiia macrumors member

5. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Um,looking cool.;)

it runs like word processing lol.

6. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

It seems no one cares about my Performa, :(
    oh well,i set it up,with it's original monitor and external CD drive on my dresser and it looks pretty cool sitting there,across from my PM G4 Quicksilver anyways.:D

7. Strimkind macrumors member

I suggest you download some old mac games and revisit some old favorites. If you find an LC PDS Ethernet card, you can try and get it on the internet and/or network it with your G4.

Lots of things you can do with it!

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Post some pictures :)

10. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Here's the pics of it that someone requested. :)

Attached Files:

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Nice machine! I've always liked the 13" Apple monitors too - the Sony Trinitron tubes were pretty sweet.

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Nice piece of vintage computing! That's one of the more interesting models, with its collection of unique internal parts.

To those who wonder "what good is it?"

This is the "Apple Collectors" sub-forum. This is specifically for people who collect Apple gear. That includes older gear.

Nothing says it has to be "useful" as an everyday machine. There are people who collect many different types of items, vintage computers are just one kind.

It could be for nostalgia (I have an old Apple IIc that I use to play old games like Oregon Trail and Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego,) it could be because you want to learn more about what came before, it could be just because you like how they look.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Man, Apple made some fugly stuff. And I don't think the Performas will ever be anything other than a mistake in Apple's past.

14. pooky macrumors 6502

That was my first mac (except for a very brief and regrettable affair with a Performa 575).

We jacked that baby up to 16 MB of RAM. Also got the upgraded 68040 to go with (instead of the crappy default 68LC040). Screamed!

15. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I always thought the Mac II's, Performa's and Quadra's where much better looking machines than the stuff Apple churn's out today. The Performas served there purpose by being cheaper machines for the general consumer.

16. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Exactly!!!Finally,someone else on this Earth Gets me. lol Your like the first my friend. hahahaha

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Performas almost put apple out of business. They had a ridiculous amount of SKUs, no one could differentiate between models and they had billions on unsold inventory. That was when Apple was trying to be all things to all people.

As you'll recall, one of Jobs first things Jobs did was simplifying their product matrix.

19. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I will start collecting every Mac ever made when I have my own place hahahaha.Right now I just grab free old Macs when there posted and I've had some luck with some nice classic Macs such as Clamshells and PB Titaniums which all have been refirbished,I used them then sold them for something better. :D