Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Anyone have a good line on where I can get a Macintosh plus keyboard and mouse? A friend gave me one he had in storage but no accessories.

Also is it possible to get this machine on a LAN with my other computers? Never used a old Mac like this one but would love to get it up and running. I have downloaded the system 6 files from apple. Not sure if it has only 1mb or if it was upgraded or not.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Anyone have a good line on where I can get a Macintosh plus keyboard and mouse? A friend gave me one he had in storage but no accessories.

Also is it possible to get this machine on a LAN with my other computers? Never used a old Mac like this one but would love to get it up and running. I have downloaded the system 6 files from apple. Not sure if it has only 1mb or if it was upgraded or not.

I'm in the same boat, keyboard-wise, but as far as a LAN goes, you'll need to connect this thing either via a SCSI-to-Ethernet adapter, or via its serial ports. The serial ports work with what is known as "LocalTalk" which was a simple networking protocol from Apple based around daisychaining Macs. The first versions used a mini-DIN3 connector, and third-parties made versions that used phone cabling. You can either connect to a newer Mac that has Ethernet and use that machine as a bridge, or even pick up a hardware bridge.

This is a good resource: http://lowendmac.com/network/bridge.shtml

Keep in mind that this kind of networking is based around AppleTalk and the last few versions of OS X do not support that. Thus, I'd recommend a "bridge" Mac (can really be anything beige and from the '90s).

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.