Macintosh Plus

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by spectre51, Oct 23, 2010.

1. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

A friend just brought over and gave me a Macintosh Plus. It had no software or other peripherals (no keyboard or anything) Where can I get a replacement keyboard/mouse?

I'm not sure if the ram has been upgraded or not. Whats the latest system version I can use an where can I get it. I have read about the tape on a 1.44mb floppy but not sure how to do that does anyone have a pic or something showing that?

Do you guys have any good links for software that would run on a Mac Plus? I'd kinda like to get it running to play with it instead of just selling it unless it is gonna be too much work or extra money.

2. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Most of your answers are contained here.

The Plus uses the old keyboard connections, pre-Apple Desktop Bus (forerunner to USB) so it might be hard to pick one up. Try eBay or a school selling off old equipment?

You should be able to run System 7.0 no problem, maybe up to System 7.5 (depending on memory)? System 7.0 was available free of charge so you could download a copy quite legit.

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

For the Mac Plus, Id recommend sticking to System 6.0/7.1 at most as otherwise it will be rather slow. 7.5.5 will run, however its very very slow, and quite unusable for anything more than a display piece - System 6.0 can definitely be found on the internet as Apple never used to mind, until System 7, people sharing copies of the software.

4. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

as for software head over to macintosh garden look in the forums for my ftp (i'm max1zzz on mg) and have a look around the site, and the max os you can run on it is 7.5.5

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I would run System 6.0.8 on it. It's quite a bit quicker than System 7, it's free for download from Apple, and still quite usable. Pretty much any software you'll want to run on something as slow as a Plus will run under System 6 anyway. :)

6. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

7. XaPHER macrumors member

XaPHER

He should not install system 7.5.3, it will be
    slow and you will need an external hard drive or more than 4mb of ram to make ramdisk using special Control panels

8. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

Oh I agree, I have 6.0.8 running on my Mac Classic with 4mb of RAM and it is great for playing the old Games, Beyond Dark Castle, MacMan etc...

you can get System 6 from the link I posted.

9. XaPHER macrumors member

XaPHER

i have original floppies of 6.0.7 and 7.1. I installed them on a SE and a IIci

10. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

System 6.x is the best OS to have running on the 68000 series Macs, otherwise it will just slow the system down and use up memory.

Unless you are trying to get your mac on the internet, use a cd rom drive, networking there really isn't any benefit to using system 7

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

You underestimate System 6! It can do all three of those things just fine. I had a dual floppied LC running 6.0.8. It was awesome to use telnet to play Infocom games over the internet - all from just a pair of floppies. :) Now if by internet you mean web browsing, you're right - I'm unaware of any browser for System 6.