Macintosh SCSI Hard Drive in PowerMac?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by MrCheeto, Feb 22, 2012.

1. MrCheeto, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012

MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I have a client that will need to run old Motorola 68030 System 7 software on a B&W PowerMac G3 with OS 9.

Any straight-forward solutions?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Double-click the app?

Unless it is a *VERY* strange piece of software, it should run just fine. Pre-System-7 apps are more likely to have quirks that make them not run on later OSes, but anything System 7 or later should be fine.

I have successfully run MacWrite 1.0 (an original 1984 launch app) on a G5 running Mac OS X 10.4, via the Classic environment's Mac OS 9.2.2 install. No tweaking needed.

3. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I know there are some issues running Early versions of ClarisWorks with OS 9.2, etc. A Blue and White G3 can run 8.5.1 and 8.6, He/she can resort to this version of Mac OS if they encounter problems running anything under OS 9.

4. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Apparently, the Macintosh Classic II's are used to run CNC machines. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Well, now we need to run that software on a G3. I'll assume, then, that my original presumption was correct.

Thanks.

5. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Right. CNC machines have been listening to Apples since the Apple II days.

6. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

OK, so now I have a different issue.

I've pulled the internal drives out of an SE/30 and the Classic II. I plugged them directly into the power in the PowerMac G3 B&W, and the internal SCSI cable into the SCSI Controller PCI card.

When I open Drive Setup in OS 9.2, it simply says "ID 1 Drive not supported"

So it's seeing the drive but...what now? All I want to do is move two files off of the old drive =\

7. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

That only means that the drive doesn't have Apple firmware.

Drive Setup from OS 9 and earlier (including the VERY old HDSC Setup) will only allow formatting of a hard drive with Apple's firmware. Those drives will have either a black Apple logo on the manufacturer's label or a round sticker with a red Apple logo on older drives.

What you may want to try now is SCSIProbe v4.3.

You can get it here:

ftp://ftp.lf.net/pub/mac/disk/SCSIProbe 4.3 folder.sit.hqx

Select the drive in the control panel and click the "Mount" button.

8. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Wait...what?

The Macintosh had System 7 and I'm trying to mount it inside of a PowerMac that's running OS 9...:confused:

9. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I think I'm confused by your reply.

By "mount" I mean to mount the volume that is on the drive on the OS 9 desktop so that you can retrieve the files you need.

MacOS 9 shouldn't have any issues doing this.

I'm still confused as to why YOU are confused.

10. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

What I'm confused by is that basically you are stating that the hard drive that came out of my Macintosh doesn't have Apple Firmware....

11. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

That's usually what causes Drive Setup to say "Unsupported", yes.

If it DOES have a black Apple logo, then the SCSI bus may be getting corrupted, and the model & firmware numbers are becoming garbled. Check with SCSIProbe to see if the model is reporting correctly.

Example;

Apple badged Quantum ProDrive LPS:
    http://www.biocomp.net/o82842.htm

Non-Apple badged Quantum ProDrive LPS:
    http://www.a1usedcomputers.com.au/shop/prodView.asp?idproduct=627

I don't recall Apple dropping older drives from Drive Setup's supported drives.

I've installed non-Apple drives in plenty of older Macs, and you either needed a patched/hacked version of HDSC Setup or Drive Setup to be able to format or initialize them, or use FWB's "Hard Disk Toolkit" or Lacie's SilverLining to format them.

In any case, that doesn't matter since Drive Setup only allows formatting (and limited read write tests) and that's NOT what you need.

The reason the drive won't mount is probably because the drives have a driver on them that isn't SCSI Manager 4.3 compliant. SCSIProbe should be able to get around this and just mount the AppleVolume partition which contains the data you need.

12. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

Didn't the last SCSI drive on chain need to have a terminator? Is the drive terminated? Or was that just for externals?

13. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

It should already have on-board termination since it was mounted internally.

14. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Yes, it's mounted with a single-drive cable onto a PCI SCSI controller, internally.