Macintosh SE FDHD

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by masterjedi73, Jul 22, 2010.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Just got one off of craigslist for $30.00. Came with the Apple extended keyboard, mouse, and imagewriter II printer. All original documentation and boxes also!

now....what do i do with it? haha

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I hadn't seen that site before. It looks cool.

Is there any way to get the files from my mini to the SE? hmmm...

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

If you're not running Snow Leopard, the easiest way (IMO) is to purchase an external USB floppy drive for your Mini - then just copy them over.

5. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, unfortunately Apple removed HFS (the file system used by your SE) support in Snow Leopard. :( I have 10.5 installed on a USB stick, and boot my MBP to it when I have to work with my older Macs. Fortunately USB floppy drives are pretty cheap - I think I paid $15 for mine at Fry's.

Once you get to the point where you can copy files to a disk your SE can read, a good next step would to get it ethernet equipped and connected to the net. There was a recent thread about this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=964743

Then you can just ftp into your Mac Mini (even under Snow Leopard), and copy files that way.

7. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Well....i've really got no way to put stuff on it then.

How terrible would it be for me to gut it and use the case for something else?
    :rolleyes:

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

It'd be very terrible! Trust me, it's worth the effort to get the SE up and running. :)

9. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Yea.....I'm just not sure what to do with it really. I couldn't resist buying it though. Especially with the original boxes, discs, and docs.

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I completely understand! :)

Another option is to get an 'in-between' Mac - something that'll easily connect to the internet and/or your Mini, but also connect to your SE. An older, pre-USB PowerMac would work great for this. It can connect to the Internet without any trouble (for downloading older SE applications), but still has LocalTalk ports for easy networking to the SE. In this case, you don't even need to futz with floppies. With a little patience, you can probably snag such a system for free.

The only problem is that this is how old Mac collections grow seemingly out of nowhere. ;)

11. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Haha. I'm sure my wife would love this idea. I skipped that whole era of powermacs. Which specific model would be good?

12. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I personally think the x600 Powermacs were the best. Those being the 7600, 8600, and 9600. These can also be upgraded to G3's for cheap now too.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Mac SE Complete-In-Box (CIB)!

OMG!

I'll send you my shipping address... :eek:

LOL...

Pics please!

14. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

here are some pictures. like i said, all of the documentation is included...i only took a picture of the "open me first" (even has the yellow floppy disk shipping protector in it!). it's set up in my son's room right now, and i couldn't find anything else to put the box on for the picture so it's on top of it. lol

i also didn't photograph the printer, but that has the box and docs too. the color of the computer is actually a little better than the photos.
    :apple:

Attached Files:

15. ptrhenry52 macrumors newbie

The Macintosh SE was cased in the platinum color that was first seen in later versions of the Macintosh Plus.Well it's not going to stand to much use but $10 isn't exactly a big amount in the grand scheme of things so if you want it,get it.In my opinion the Macintosh SE FDHD was the best value of its day among the compact Macs.