Macintosh SE

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bman6074, Apr 8, 2007.

1. bman6074 Guest

Hi,
    I received an old Macintosh SE. It had a disk stuck in the drive and would not boot at first. Once I got the disk out of the drive, it booted up fine. After clicking around for a few minutes I chose the shutdown option to turn it off. It told me it was safe to turn the MAC off so I switched it off.
    Now when I turn on the Macintosh it boots up but then goes right into a screensaver which appears to have a lock on it. When I move the mouse a small box appears on the screen and I can type into it and the characters come up in little apple’s.
    Does anyone know how to bypass this? I am not an expert in MAC so if you can be as detailed as possible that would be much appreciated.
    Thank you in advanced
    [​IMG]

2. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Try booting off another disk and look to see what kind of extensions are in the Hard Drives System Folder see if any might be a security extension or forget the disk and see if holding shift at startup stops it. i could be wrong as I have never ran into this problem before. And its Mac not MAC.

3. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

You can boot the Mac up without loading the extensions by holding down the Shift key.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Oh the walk down memory lane..... my first Mac!

Mine died, or i'd probably still be using it in some capacity. Heck, the kids would enjoy what i had for it!

5. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Didnt i say that?

:rolleyes:

6. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Just reinforcing your very words.

7. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

8. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Oh ok, just checking. Thanks! ;)

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

This belongs in the "Collectors" forum.

This belongs in the Collector's forum.

This is some security software - I forgot what it is. Holding the "shift" down, the unit will still be locked. I remember using some sort of "unlock" floppy to boot from and use a master admin password to disable the security.

It's best if you download the System 7 discs and reformat the drive and reinstall the system...

10. bman6074 thread starter Guest

Hi,
    Thank you for the suggestion that worked. I was wondering how to turn off the screensaver password? I went into the control panel where I found AfterDark program which I am assuming is the screensaver. But it won't let me open it, say a reboot is needed to open the application. After I reboot I am back in the password issue.
    Any ideas how to disable the screensaver or change the password?
    Thanks in advance.

11. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

You need to pay a visit to low end mac This is THE place for your 68000 research!

Congrats on your great find!

12. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Well, this is a classic Mac but this is the Mac Basics and Help forum and he needed help.

13. TechHistorian macrumors member

And the only thing more "basic" would be a Plus, a 512K, or a 128K :D

14. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

No. Its the AfterDark screensaver protection.

15. RacerX macrumors 65832

It sure sounds a lot like "At Ease" from the description. Hopefully it is "AfterDark" though.

And if it is "At Ease", it'll be hard to remove. "At Ease" writes stuff into sectors of the disk that can't be accessed by the Finder... so really the only way to remove it completely is to reformat and reinstall as I recall.

If it was me, I'd boot off a utility disk, see if there is anything were saving on the drive, back up any of that to an exterior drive, and start over.

:rolleyes:

Of course with all the old stuff I have lying around, all of that would be really straight forward.

16. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I may be wrong or used another version of At Ease but I got a old Performa 550 from a school with At Ease and all I had to do was boot from a floppy and remove the At Ease Extension and Control Panel and it was gone.

17. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I agree, its not very hard to remove.

I didn't think At Ease worked in Mac OS's prior to System 7. And the last I checked the SE only ran up to System 6.0.8. I still say it's After Dark.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The Mac SE worked fine with System 7 up through system 7.5.5.

On a side note I have a soft spot for the Mac SE as it was my developer platform many years ago! :)

19. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I also have a soft spot for the SE, it was my third Mac and the first time I had ever used System 7.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

System 7 was a nice improvement over System 6, but it was also a resource hog. I really enjoyed using my Mac SE. :)

21. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I loved using my SE too - such fond memories, and truly a sad day when it died :(