Macintosh TV low frame rate for TV?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by InuNacho, Sep 30, 2010.

1. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Hey everyone I'm not sure if this is the right section for this, so if it isn't please point me in the right direction.
    Anyhow I recently "found" a Macintosh TV, did a fresh install of System 7.1, hooked up my Genesis and... it seems like I'm missing half the frames per second. Both RF and video in have the same problem.
    I've changed the very limited options in both TV Setup and Monitors and I still have the same problem. Will installing 7.6 change anything or am I stuck missing half the frames?

EDIT: Ok it's not half the frames missing but it's still noticeable. Also is there a way to adjust the picture quality, the video in is extremely blurry with multicolored artifacts everywhere.

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It sounds as if the TV tuner card may be having issues. The way it works in that system is that the TV tuner card does *ALL* of work. It then throws the video over the digitally-rendered content from the Mac OS. The analog video cannot be 'captured' on a Macintosh TV, and cannot be manipulated at all within the OS; so the OS is irrelevant. It's a piece of hardware slapping the video live as it comes in over the computer graphics. Any "slowdown" is purely in the hardware tuner.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

You can take screenshots! But yeah, this seems like a hardware problem - especially since it appears to happen with both coax and RCA inputs.

4. InuNacho thread starter macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Is it possible to replace the card? There are a few floating around on ebay or could I use the card in my Performa 6400/180?

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

You'll have to replace the motherboard, unfortunately.

6. InuNacho thread starter macrumors 65816

InuNacho

The thing's toast now, keeps telling me that I don't have video in but it still runs audio in perfectly and the built in speakers no longer work.
    Thanks for the help everyone, when I hit 250 posts I'll put this in the Marketplace and see if anyone wants it for parts or repair.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think you can replace the TV Tuner board just by itself. I keep reading that "they where a popular add-on for Performa owners". This seems to suggest that the TV Tuner card in a Macintosh TV is the same used in Perfromas and other early Apple computers with TV Tuners.

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Before you jump ship, the good news is that you can drop any number of other motherboards into your Macintosh TV, as long as you don't mind losing the TV capability (and the value of the machine). An LC 575 mobo is an excellent choice:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MacIntosh-PERFO...aultDomain_2&hash=item483be26ca1#ht_698wt_824

I don't think you need to spend that much money, but it's an example of a way to make your machine functional again.

Unfortunately that's not true. The Macintosh TV was a complete different beast than the video add-on for the Performas. :(