Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Selecting "All Tasks" returns three "Dones" instantaneously in the Console dialogue box, without any other dialogue. Apparently, nothing is happening.

Any ideas? Permissions recently repaired, firewall on as it is always has been.

TIA!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
nobody needs macjanitor.

1) open netinfo manager, authenticate yourself as admin user, enable root account
2) open terminal, type "passwd root" and select your root user password
3) type "sudo /etc/daily"
4) type "sudo /etc/weekly"
5) type "sudo /etc/monthly"

these last three commands are the ones that macjanitor tries to run. and these commands are run automatically if your computer is always on. this is standard unix maintenance by the way, and if you are not familiar with unix, i must warn you to keep the root password really safe because root is THE superuser that has access to everything in your computer.

maybe macjanitor fails to run the scripts because it lacks permissions? but don't worry, after you have set your root passwork (first two steps) you can be a macjanitor yourself and actually know what you are doing there ;) after the first time, you will only need to repeat the last three steps because the root is already enabled.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
if you don't know what you are doing, don't even set a root password...

as for macjanitor, just run one task at a time. (no, it's not what you asked, but it's a solution.)

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
jxyama said:
if you don't know what you are doing, don't even set a root password...

as for macjanitor, just run one task at a time. (no, it's not what you asked, but it's a solution.)

Well said. I've decided not to work within Unix until I learn it properly...looks like one could cause some serious damage.

Root user has been disabled. I will simply have to leave my machine on all night occasionally for these tasks to be accomplished as MacJanitor will not work one way or another.

Thanks again to all.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
you could also try the program OnyX...can do what MacJanitor does plus what TinkerTool as well...i prefer this to MJ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.