MacJournal Release 5 - A Word of Caution

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lugesm, Feb 20, 2008.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I have been using MacJournal 4.1.2 for several months, and I love the program. It is an eloquent design that almost perfectly matches my needs for a daily journal program.

Recently I downloaded the upgrade to release 5 of this program at a cost of $19.95. Reasonable, I thought. Even though I was quite happy with release 4.1.2, I opined (erroneously) that release 5 would be even better.

However, I was very disappointed and uncomfortable with the new release. I would hasten to point out that I only tried it for a day, but that was enough for me to know that 4.1.2 was much better for my modest journal needs. TimeMachine saved me. I simply rolled up MacJournal 4.1.2 from TimeMachine and it installed properly in my current system . . . without error. Now, I am in love with TimeMachine.

I should also comment that MacJournal 5 might be useful for anyone needing some new features, and I have to admit that I didn't explore those. My disappointment with the basic operation was sufficient for my personal decision, but others might find the new format acceptable.

The only reason for this long comment follows:
    - I have received much invaluable advice on this forum over the past 6 months since I converted to the Mac from Windows, and I hope to contribute something, if only a small bit of helpful advice.

If you are using MacJournal 4.1.2 and decide to download release 5, I would strongly advise that you keep 4.1.2 in place and use the trial version of release 5 before you decide to switch. Might save you $19.95 for the effort.

Regards,
    L

2. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Update:

UPDATE: Today I downloaded the latest version, 5.0.4, and reinstalled it over version 4.1.2. It now works perfectly, and I am very pleased with the product. :D