Macjournal vs DayOne?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GuillaumeB, Nov 1, 2016.

1. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

So in addition to my ipad mini I plan to buy an iPhone 7 and a MacBook Pr this months. I'm looking for a journaling app and of course those two comes to mind.

Which one should I go with ? Have you tried them ?

2. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

3. Ledgem, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016

Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I have the iOS and Mac versions of MacJournal, and the iOS version of Day One. I got into MacJournal before there was a Mac version of Day One, and have used it quite heavily for a number of years... but I was using Day One on iOS before there was a version of MacJournal for iOS.

My impression was that Day One for iOS had a nicer interface, but that MacJournal overall was a bit more powerful.

Given your question, though, I took a look at how Day One has developed on MacOS since the last time I saw it. Day One version 2 has been out for almost a year now, and it looks like they've added some impressive features that I'd actually really like to see in MacJournal. So now my impression has changed a bit:

For pure journaling, Day One looks like it might be the nicer option. If you're looking for an application that can be a bit more versatile (blogging platform, general information management), MacJournal might still be superior... but I'd need to use Day One a bit to get a feel for that. Pity they don't have a demo version; I'll have to examine the screenshots a bit more, I might just switch over, myself.

Edit: Looking into the features a bit more, it looks like Day One may not support video import in journal entries. I actually save a fair bit of video clips (whether home videos or YouTube rips) into my journal. So MacJournal remains a more powerful option, but if you don't think you'd ever want video in your journal, Day One is still a strong-looking candidate.

4. GerritV macrumors 65816

GerritV

I'm using DayOne on iOS only, because I don't need a sync to my Mac.
    If you do sync, all of your entries will become easily accessible without password...
    My entries are mostly text only, I might have collected 4-5 photo's during the past year.
    So, for my needs, DayOne is perfect. Creating an entry is one tap away, in a nice UI.

I never used MacJournal, but from what I just saw on their site, I think Ledgem's analysis is to the point.
    MacJournal looks like a more robust app to collect more than just thoughts.

Another option you could check is DailyNotes.
    iOS only, but it syncs with Evernote.

5. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

I'm using the original version of DayOne and love it. Unfortunately they removed Dropbox sync in version two, so I've not upgraded.

6. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Thanks for you answers. Since I may I actually use such an app as a backend to a WordPress or Tumblr blog I might go with MacJournal. I do have to try the iOS version though. I read that it was a bit outdated compared to DayOne 2. Will Check