Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
MackOS.jpg

Originally said "Mack OS 8.6". Was used as my custom startup pic years ago. Changed it to fit with today's standards. Watcha think?

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Cute idea but to me the elements don't quite connect...

The chain says "gangsta"
The glasses & goatee say "beatnik"
The hat says "German Lederhosen stomp dancer"
The font says, well - not sure about what that style says.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
aricher said:
The hat says "German Lederhosen stomp dancer"
I am offended by that. Do you know how many Lederhosen stomp dancers there are in Germany? Have you ever been here? Have you been to Bavaria or to Germany?

xper

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
Sweden - Halmstad
Shotglass said:
I am offended by that. Do you know how many Lederhosen stomp dancers there are in Germany? Have you ever been here? Have you been to Bavaria or to Germany?
How can you be offended by that? That is like saying that i am offended if someone from japan said that there were alot of mooses in Sweden.
That does not make any sence

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Shotglass said:
It's not like he said "all Germans are Lederhosen stomp dancers" or anything remotely offensive. Chill out.

And I agree that the picture has too many conflicting elements. Nice try though.

xper

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
Sweden - Halmstad
Yeah that is true ;) But i havent met someone that can cook it so it taste good so i wouldn't cry if it got extinct.
I prefer perch or salmon ;)

(sorry for offtopic)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Shotglass said:

As a student I spent a month in Germany. I've been there 5 times in the past 7 years in fact - sometimes for work, sometimes to visit friends. So yes, I have been to the Bavaria/German, Austria, Praha, etc. region. I didn't mean to offend anyone but I saw plenty of stomp dancing at just about every festival I went to and all the men had lederhosen and feathered "alpine" caps on. Heck, punch in "Lederhosen," on Google image search and see all the stuff that comes up. Then again, don't - too many visual cultural stereotypes there. Chill.

183602800_27456b88ec_o.jpg

"Feathered Cap" courtesy of Google Image Search.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
here's the link for the MOSS (Mac OS Startup Screen). http://www.resexcellence.com/moss/user_moss_05.shtml That's where I found it so many years ago. But don't criticize it too much I think the guy who originally made this was going for the German, beatnik, gangsta, "Lederhosen stomp dancer", pimp. As for the font, I did that. It was just a random font. If you don't like this one, make one yerself and show it to me! :D

MacBacon

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2005
Shotglass said:

If you want a stereotype, how about 'Germans have no sense of humour'...lucky he didn't mention the war!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Shotglass said:

Damn, I wish I could find and scan in that photo of me and the guy in lederhosen I met when I was in Bavaria a few years back!

And hey, I'm German, was born there, speak it, etc - and it's clear he's not making a joke at the expense of Germans - I mean, if anything it's a compliment! We're known for our lederhosen!

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
=livingfortoday I mean, if anything it's a compliment! We're known for our lederhosen!

Wow, two words I never thought I'd see in the same sentance...compliment and lederhosen.

Not that there is anything wrong with tight leather shorts. :D

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Listen People, it's NOT about Germans, it's about the Bavarians :mad: . Lederhosen, stomp dancing, all that muck - Bavarian. Not German, Bavarian. That's all I'm asking for - making the difference. They don't even speak the same language. Well, maybe essentially, but still. If there's any Bavarians here, please don't take offense, if there's any Franconians here, well, you know what I mean.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Make the hat purple, lose the goatee and glasses and it will be there...Also it needs MTV's 'Pimp My Ride' font rather than whats there already...

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
MacBacon said:
If you want a stereotype, how about 'Germans have no sense of humour'...lucky he didn't mention the war!

:D

I now have to wipe coffee of my work monitor, actually sod it. It's a Dull.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.