Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstrickland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
My wife and I just bought mac's and I was thinking of springing for a 4gb combo for the Macbook Pro and then trying to move my 2-1gb sticks from this machine to her new Macbook. Will this work?

Thanks in advance..

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
MacBook & MacBook Pro RAM Are The Same

My wife and I just bought mac's and I was thinking of springing for a 4gb combo for the Macbook Pro and then trying to move my 2-1gb sticks from this machine to her new Macbook. Will this work?

Thanks in advance..
Yes. They are the same RAM. It's also possible to put ONE 2GB stick in her MacBook to make it a 3GB ram MacBook - the max it will take although Apple doesn't broadcast that fact.

docc

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Miami
Yes. They are the same RAM. It's also possible to put ONE 2GB stick in her MacBook to make it a 3GB ram MacBook - the max it will take although Apple doesn't broadcast that fact.

Yes, but from what i have read, its better to install similar dual channel modules to prevent a decrease in performance. Now, i am not aware how much of a difference a 5-10% performance drop will make to the OP, but any drop isn't good. I guess thats why Apple doesn't advertise that fact...

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
"performance Drop" From Different Size RAM Modules Is A MYTH

Yes, but from what i have read, its better to install similar dual channel modules to prevent a decrease in performance. Now, i am not aware how much of a difference a 5-10% performance drop will make to the OP, but any drop isn't good. I guess thats why Apple doesn't advertise that fact...
That "performance drop" story is a MYTH. Apple doesn't advertise it because they don't want folks to realize it can have almost as much RAM as a MBP. It is less than 4% difference at MOST and usually none at all. The additional RAM more than makes up for the mismatch "hit".

docc

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Miami
You're right, thanks for clarifying that. Check out this link from OWC which benchmarks all the different configurations and shows a marginal decrease with Aperture while 3GB seems like the better option for all other puproses.

Interesting read...

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.