Mackbook Pro memory usable in Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mstrickland, Jun 19, 2007.

1. mstrickland macrumors newbie

My wife and I just bought mac's and I was thinking of springing for a 4gb combo for the Macbook Pro and then trying to move my 2-1gb sticks from this machine to her new Macbook. Will this work?

Thanks in advance..

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

MacBook & MacBook Pro RAM Are The Same

Yes. They are the same RAM. It's also possible to put ONE 2GB stick in her MacBook to make it a 3GB ram MacBook - the max it will take although Apple doesn't broadcast that fact.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, the 1 Gb modules out of the new machine(s) will work in the MacBook.

The latest MacBooks (with the Core2Duo chips) will take a single 2 Gb module for 3 Gb total

Thanks
    Trevor

[Edit] Beaten to the post :)

4. docc macrumors 6502

Yes, but from what i have read, its better to install similar dual channel modules to prevent a decrease in performance. Now, i am not aware how much of a difference a 5-10% performance drop will make to the OP, but any drop isn't good. I guess thats why Apple doesn't advertise that fact...

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

"performance Drop" From Different Size RAM Modules Is A MYTH

That "performance drop" story is a MYTH. Apple doesn't advertise it because they don't want folks to realize it can have almost as much RAM as a MBP. It is less than 4% difference at MOST and usually none at all. The additional RAM more than makes up for the mismatch "hit".

6. docc macrumors 6502

You're right, thanks for clarifying that. Check out this link from OWC which benchmarks all the different configurations and shows a marginal decrease with Aperture while 3GB seems like the better option for all other puproses.

Interesting read...

Cheers.

7. mstrickland thread starter macrumors newbie