mackbook pro was dropped

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kigru, Nov 2, 2010.

1. kigru macrumors newbie

im guessing there are a number of these threads posted, but what i wanted to know was there any common results associated with macbook being dropped.

as crazy as that sounds, heres the story..... halloween weekend everything was going good, till someone who had way to much to drink found there way to my MBP and knocked it off teh stand. it feel abotu 4 feet (ouch).

the next morning (i waited that long becuase i didnt want to rip the guys head off) i inspected the computer, screen was shot.

what has me really worried is what types of internal damage could possibly have happened.

im typing on it right now, using an external monitor, everythign seems to be fine expect for a few noises coming from underneath the key board and the area around the charging port is hotter than normal.

if anyone has had this happen, pleae let me know.

also, if anyhone could lead me to a trusted site to replace my lcd

specs:
    15 " MBpro
    late 2006-early 07 before santa rosa
    2.33 120hd
    3gb ram

i know this is an old computer, but i have one more semester left of college, im strapped for cash and up to my neck in student loans. i just want this reliable computer to last for another 6 months.

thanks guys.

2. MaxwellIreland macrumors member

Sorry to hear that man,my PowerBook fell a similar height and damaged the slot drive,did you test that yet?

3. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

That sucks, sorry to hear it :(

Can you remove the bottom cover, take some pics of its guts and post them here? Also take a pic of the topside, screen, etc.

Worse comes to worse, maybe you can just get a few more months out of it as a desktop, hooked up to a monitor...then use the repair $$ and any graduation $$ for a new one ;)

4. brianfast macrumors regular

Lol valuable possessions and college partys don't mix.

Why don't you find out on iFixit what it costs to repair the laptop?

5. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

ifixit prices r steep :(

mine's been dropped and the screen is okay the hinge rhside is bust and theres a dent on the front left of the unibody...oh n the batt lvl doesnt work but everything else is fine if it wasnt for the hinge it'd all be cosmetic :)

hope it lasts - im claiming on my insurance old for new :)

6. kigru thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i have, just burned a few cds for a road trip.

7. kigru thread starter macrumors newbie

i have been using it as a desktop, well here and there. i kept hearing a funny noise insdide (top right under keyboard) and while it was on i felt that the area around the charging port was hot-er than normal. ( sorry for the phrasing, but anyone who had a mbpro knows that there is no such thing as warm, its hot or really effin hot)

8. kigru thread starter macrumors newbie

the repair for the screen, its the long term damage that hasnt set in that scares me.

9. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

sorry to hear that...def gonna lock up my MBP next time i have a party lol

10. chockymonster macrumors member

I fell down the stairs holding my 17" MBP.
    Quote to repair the machine was £1652
    Thankfully my insurance has covered it.

11. Darrenyo macrumors member

No one here can tell you if anything is damaged but only speculate.

Open it up, check the fan is still working, is anything cracked, is the motherboard alright, just things like that.

You said its hotter then usual and its making weird noise's. So yes something is more then likely broken, bring it to a few places and get different quotes and also ask them to give you a list of things broken incase they are trying to rip you off or incase someone else miss's something.

Or you could send it to Apple, they will cost a fortune tho.

12. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

How much was the repair bill for you?

sounds nasty

-

to the original poster, I hope your friend offers to make things right and pay to fix your computer, that is the least they can do.

13. SidBala macrumors 6502a

I dropped my UB MBP 17 once. Luckily, it only feel from around a foot. But now there is this annoying little mark on the bottom right corner. I managed to catch and stabilize it before it started bouncing and whatnot. But the damage was done already :(

14. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I dropped my 13" MBP from about 3.5 feet. Luckily it was in a Speck hardcase, so the only damage that it suffered was a slightly warped corner on the display lid. Not enough damage that a common onlooker would be able to notice. I doubt that even the genius bar could notice it. The only reason I noticed it was because I inspected for damage after it fell (honestly, I didn't actually drop it.) I tripped on an insanely long set of headphones that was connected to my MBP. Don't ask why I was using insanely long headphones. They weren't mine, I was just using some that I found in my school's computer lab. The cable from the headphones got caught up in the wheel of the rolling chair I was sitting on. When I stood up, I watched in horror as my MBP hit the carpeted concrete floor. Also, this happened about 2 weeks after buying my MBP. It happened around May 2010.