MacKeeper malware

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdfgbg, Sep 9, 2014.

1. asdfgbg macrumors regular

asdfgbg

I went to speedtest.net by ookla and I accidentally clicked on a pop up that directed me to a site called mackeeper.

I searched google and it seems a lot of people don't recommend it and some even got a virus from it.
    I didn't download anything and I closed the tab and cleared my history.

Is it possible I somehow got some malware by just going on that site ?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

No.

You won't get pregnant by sitting on a toilet seat either.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you're safe. MacKeeper isn't technically malware. It's just a very poorly designed and useless app that can cause more harm than good.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Actually people can get pregnant sitting on a toilet set. But there are far more comfortable bits of furniture in the bedroom.

5. asdfgbg thread starter macrumors regular

asdfgbg

Thanks for your answers.:) But I read on the apple support forums mackeeper can install itself and you wouldn't even notice. thats why I'm asking

6. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Unless you're totally clueless and didn't notice anything being downloaded, or that a new app appeared under Applications, or that by checking under your user profile what app's are set to run at start up....nothing was installed.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is not true. MacKeeper cannot install itself without your permission.