mackeeper moved files to trash put back won't work! how do i put files back?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by canuckuk1, Oct 23, 2013.

1. canuckuk1 macrumors newbie

I used a third party programme called Mackeeper UGHHH SOOO Stupid i know,it moved loads of files to the trash now i do not know where they originally came from or belong!! the put back option is in grey??and will not work even when i highlight one by one!!
    how can i manually put these files back where they belong?
    i know i should have used time machine but i have not set it up and its too late for that now
    i have been researching and racking my brain on how to put these folders and contents of them back to where they once were all of the contents of the folder are still in tact AND i have not emptied my trash,my programmes and some of my apps are not working properly now...i use my computer alot for making music and things are jumbled up now...
    is there anyone out there who knows the answer to my prayers on how to go about putting these folders/files back to where they came from to restore functionality to my mac..Yes and thank u if u were going to tell me i HAVE un installed mackeeper...A very sad and upset Mac user!! Cheers Shane
    iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Put back option will not work

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

MacKeeper is malware in my book since it tends to cause systems to become unbootable.

It's hard to tell where to put the files back unless you know where they belong in the first place.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

The only thing I can think of is to find someone with a MacBook with the same OS and applications on it that you have and then search it and for the files in your Trash to see where they go.

4. dubina, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014

dubina macrumors member

I got sucked into MacKeeper because ...

... I ran speedtests on my iMac and PC and the iMac speedtests were a pitiful fraction of the PC speedtests coming off the same wireless router.

Coincidentally, a prompt to download and install MacKeeper accompanied the bad speedtest. So I did. When I ran the MacKeeper diagnostic, it indicated my iMac was frowny-faced messed-up and that I should pay something to upgrade Mackeeper which would then be able to "clean" the problem.

I became sufficiently suspicious at that point not to pay and to search for "MacKeeper" at MacRumors...and here I am now. But two questions remain: why are my iMac speedtests a pitiful fraction of my PC speedtests coming off the same wireless router? And, if that's a real problem, not a speedtest phishing ruse, what to do about it?

Thanks in advance, hoping I haven't been victimized by a 17 year-old Russian kid.

;-)