Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
Seems everywhere I surf on the net, I see adverts for "MacKeeper". They claim it to be the most popular software for Mac on the planet (slight exaggeration). But when I look at it on Macupdate-dot-com, it is rated very very low. Anyone have any experience with this App? Sounds good on the surface, but 180+ low ratings makes me wonder. I'm just curious what folks here experienced with it think? :confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Seems everywhere I surf on the net, I see adverts for "MacKeeper".
You don't need it. You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Seems everywhere I surf on the net, I see adverts for "MacKeeper". They claim it to be the most popular software for Mac on the planet (slight exaggeration). But when I look at it on Macupdate-dot-com, it is rated very very low. Anyone have any experience with this App? Sounds good on the surface, but 180+ low ratings makes me wonder. I'm just curious what folks here experienced with it think? :confused:
You don't need experience with this sort of stuff. You know that MacOS X takes care of itself. To the extent that there is an issue, then run the built-in File System Check (fsck -fy) from the command line in Single User Mode. For lesser issues, there is Disk Utility/Disk First Aid.

As for MacKeeper, the "product" is a scam. I recall reading that it is a port of the developer's WinKeeper utility suite. If this is true, then ZeoBIT has removed its name from WinKeeper because WinKeeper is also recognized as worthless. A Google search of MacKeeper brings results in hits to "mackeeper scam." These are links to websites that attempt to prove that the "utility" is real and that it really works. They are clearly supported by ZeoBIT. Anytime that a developer tells you that its product is not a scam, then you need end your research. You have unimpeachable proof that it is a scam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.