Mackie Control Pro vs. Mackie Control Universal???

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by theapex, Feb 24, 2008.

1. theapex macrumors regular

Major differences and preferences.

Looking into getting an audio interface with a stand alone mixer (not a must but will be good to have) and a DAW controller built into one unit. Someone in another post recomended one of these...but I am not sure which one and cause at first I thought they were the same thing. But I have now learned that they are not....

So I just wanted to see what you all thought.

And if it helps any, I had kinda decided that I was going to settle with the Tascam 1082, till I ran across some ebay auctions for the Mackie Control Universal.

Oh yeah, be sure to address this...If I could get the Mackie Control Universal for about (within $50) of the Tascam 1082...which would you go after. Thanks

2. theapex thread starter macrumors regular

uh.....

just went to zzounds the MCU is just a control unit....not an interface.

BIG BUMMER!!!!

back to drawing board again.

3. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I'm unclear as to what you're looking for.

Are you looking for an AD/DA that MUST also be a standalone mixer and would be nice if it was a daw controller?

Or an AD/DA that MUST also be a daw controller and would be nice if it was a standalone mixer?

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Well - it seems he wants what he said he wants within his budget.

The Tascam is a good bet for the money, if you need an all-in-one machine of that ilk.

5. theapex thread starter macrumors regular

i need a firewire audio interface that could also serve as a DAW/Reason controller and if it could be used as a mixer also that would be great.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'd carefully look at what you really want. The thing with an all-in-one like the Tascam is that if you outgrow one part of it, you effectively outgrow all of it. Great value for sure - I was looking at it a while back when considering how to lay out my amateur DAW setup - but I'd say prioritise your requirements and see if they really fit into the features offered by the Tascam.

7. theapex thread starter macrumors regular

thanks alot sesshi...would you mind being a little bit more detailed in what you mean?

thanks

8. theapex thread starter macrumors regular

are there any more devices that are even similar to this. I have another thread on here about this situation too...

oh well

I need a firewire audio interface with at least 8 inputs I would like to be able to mix from it as well if need be and I also need a midi controller to control logic and reason.

I would like to have good pre amps (of course) but I am not doing much vocal work just yet. Mainly just music production (instrumentation and song writing).

I don't know why the guy on the other thread suggested the MCU devices. The only requirement that they meet of mine is the Midi controller part. In my opinion...not really worth $500 just for that. Plus it is so big and I will still need to get an interface.