Mackie MR5's vs Audioengine A5's or...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Tilpots, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

So as the title states, I'm looking at buying one of these products in the next couple of days. The Mackie's are available at a local Pawn Shop for $130, B stock of the AE's are available for $250 (I live close to their warehouse). Both are said to be in great working shape. I will test both before purchasing.

I will be using them connected to my HDTV and to my MBP for my Apple Lossless music collection.

Anybody have recomendations on either?

The AE's are at the tippy top of my price range, which is why I'm looking at powered speakers instead of a receiver+speaker set up...

Then again, today I found this Yamaha RX-V559 for $130 also. So I could get this receiver but have no idea about what kind of speakers (and at what price) would go with this receiver or if it's even any good. My local craigslist has tons of speakers, but I've been researching powered ones because I figured the price of A/V receivers+speakers was beyond my range.

So, please lend your audio knowledge. I am ready to listen!

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Try searcihng for a pair of KRK RP5 G2's on your local craigslist. Just search KRK and there should be a few within your budget. Otherwise the Mackies would be acceptable for a home theater type setup w/o breaking the bank.

3. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks for the reply. I do hear a lot of people talking up the KRK's lately... Now to try and find a local dealer that's got 'em.

I'm getting an in home demonstration of the Audioengine's tomorrow. Let you all know how it goes.

4. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Listened to the A5's and bought 'em. They sounded fantastic. I almost went with the A2's but the low end just wasn't quite there for my needs. Amazing little speakers, though...

5. Sudey5 macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry to bring up an old thread. I tried to send you a PM Tilpots but I couldn't figure out how. I just joined so maybe I'm not authorized yet.

I'm thinking of picking up some A2's or possibly A5's and have a similar setup to yourself (MBP w/ lossless). You mentioned the A5's sounded fantastic but I'm curious, are you running any sort of DAC? Or are you just plugged right into the headphone jack. My options are to either get the A2's with a DAC or to ONLY get the A5's (which would mean running straight out of my MBP).

6. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

No DAC here, just straight out the headphone jack. I love them. I have my HDTV plugged to them as well. I just switch out the cable when I want to listen to my MBP. Even internet radio sounds great. Was just listening to some Christmas tunes tonight!

The A2's were impressive, but just not enough bass for me. I knew I'd use them with my TV though, so that made a big difference. I also got a refurb pair and it saved me about a hundred bucks. I use them everyday and have never had one problem. I highly recommend Audioengine. Good luck with whatever you decide.

If you have anymore questions, shoot...

7. Sudey5 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, I do actually have another question though. Do you use stands at all? I've heard they're almost a necessity with the A5's.

My other question is how far away from the wall do you place them? I can't remember what it's called but I know they have to be a certain distance

EDIT: the word is rear-ported

8. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

No stands, either. I have them laying on their side in a cabinet, about 1 foot from the rear wall. I thought I'd need stand as well, but I have no room to put them and I honestly don't notice any distortion.

My advice is to to get them and try them out. Audioengine still has their return policy, right? You might find your current setup will handle them perfectly AND you'll love the sound!