Mackie Onyx 2480 and Digital I/O

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Neovo417, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Neovo417 macrumors newbie

Hi,

On the Mackie Onyx 2480 it has DB-25 connections, to take an audio signal out for recording purposes right? My question is after you take it out where does it go from there to get into your computer to record, i think your are supposed to use a PCI card but really not sure.

N

2. hakukani macrumors regular

From Mackie's FAQ:

'This connector is generally referred to as a DB-25 connector and is the exact same connection found on Mackie hard disk recorders such as the HDR24/96 and other various digital recording products from other manufacturers. To make the connection to a recorder, you may need a DB-25 breakout cable. These generally have the DB-25 connector on one end then fan out to 8 balanced 1/4" TRS or XLR cables. You could also connect straight through using a DB-25 to DB-25 cable should you be using an HDR24/96 or other recorder with DB-25 inputs. DB-25 cables are available from most major cable manufacturers; check with your local Mackie dealer for more details. Our DB-25 connectors follow the Tascam pinout commonly followed as an industry standard. Details on exactly how the pins are wired can be found in Appendix B in the Onyx Owner's Manual, which is available for free download off our website.'

The best way to get into your computer is to purchase the Firewire card for the Mackie Onyx Series. I have a 1220 with the firewire card for my home studio, and it works great with Garageband and Logic.

3. Neovo417 thread starter macrumors newbie

if i was to use the 2480 i cannot use the firewire card because it does not have that option, can i take the direct out of the 2480 straight into a PCI card or does it have to go though a Digital I/O like the Protools 192i i/o

4. hakukani macrumors regular

Ack! Sorry, hadn't read about the live version of these desks. According to the owners manual, the DB-25 is an analog direct out, taken after the mic-pre and the eq (which I think is selectable).

Sooo, it appears that you would not be able to take this into a computer without an A/D converter, like the protools unit.

5. Neovo417 thread starter macrumors newbie

could you suggest some A/D converters that are within a resonable price