MacLife iPad review - incredible battery life?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nph, May 2, 2012.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

Reading the review for the new iPad in Maclife the author claims to be getting over 15h of use during a variety of tests.
    This sounds really good and way better than my soon 2 year old iPad 1.

But is this correct? For those of you with the new iPad are you getting anywhere close to the same long battery life doing the same activities that the author claims in the review?

Thanks

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I haven't really taken the time to calculate the battery life for my new iPad, but I can easily go from 8am-10pm (basically from when I leave for work to when I get home from work) without having to charge it back up. Granted, I'm not using it constantly, but I am using the 3g/LTE while commuting to/from work and WiFi at work.

3. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Hard to answer since you didn't tell us what those activities are, but I think it's possible. I can start in the morning with a fully charged iPad and not have to plug it up until 12 hours later. That's not with constant use, but but it does be on most of that time.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

15 hours? Maybe if 5 of those hours are spent playing Angry Birds Power Off Edition...

5. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen battery life this good. Granted, i do like the brightness a bit on the high side. I suppose if you do basic things and brightness is turned down, 15 hours could be possible.

6. shakra00 macrumors member

I can do 2 days of heavy usage of internet browsing

7. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Lots of people here have timed how long the battery lasts, and usually it's what Apple claims: between 8-10 hours. Personally, I got 8 hours 45 minutes running a slideshow with the screen at 50% brightness. That was on my second iPad 3, which I ended-up returning because of screen issues. The battery on the first iPad 3 I had seemed not to drain as quickly, to the point where it was a little surprising ("It's STILL not got below 50%?").

I suspect if you had the screen dimmer to the point where you can only just see things, and turned off things like wifi and 3/4G when not using it (perhaps while document editing), you might eke out a little more. But only an hour or two.

It sounds like the MacLife guy's got caught up in Apple's marketing spin, and maybe has a broken watch.

8. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

For general web browsing on WIFI, note taking with Bluetooth keyboard, listing to music and screen brightness around 40% the new ipad use about 6% battery every hr, so 15 hrs is possible IMO.

9. Hellenek macrumors member

When I do this my battery goes much further - really amazing! Also helps me to check email only when I'm ready for distractions.

10. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I can easily get two days of regular usage out of my iPad on one charge. And this is without turning off Wi-fi and 4G signals, however my brightess stays between 40-50% so that's a huge factor. Also, I'm not doing anything too intense. I surf the web, read a book, might type something in pages and other light battery draining activities. BL, I only charge my iPad every other day. And on the weekend I don't charge it all. It's not rare for me to go from 6:00 a.m. Friday morning to 11:00 p.m. Sunday night on one charge. So, I say 15 hours is definitely possible with the new iPad. The battery life is amazing.