maclife or macworld magazine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bmorris, Jan 16, 2008.

1. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

i want to subscribe to a mac magazine as well as a tech mag like wired. but which? ill prob get wired over laptop magazine, but mac life or macworld? which is a better choice? money isnt the thing bc they cost about the same. icreate is waay too much though. any help?

2. bakechad macrumors member

I had asked this same question a couple months ago and everyone pointed me towards MacLife. But I have to say based on the last three issues I prefer Macworld.

Also, Mactech is a great magazine if you are interested in UNIX side of the Mac.

3. Mark Morb macrumors regular

Mark Morb

Actually I'd be interesed in peoples mag recommendations in the UK...Mac mags that is...

4. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I'd go with MacLife. MacWorld tends to put most, or all, of their mag features on their website. So I go to their website for all that and subscribe to MacLife.

6. scr1968 macrumors regular

I subscribe to both but I find that I like MacWorld much better.

Yes...it is true that MacWorld posts a lot of their content on their website but I think MacLife does the same. And I am not crazy about the new redesign of Macworld.com but that is just my opinion.

But I find that lately the last few issues of MacLife have left me with a "so why do I care about this..." attitude. Like for example the recent issue has a bunch of made up products they think Apple "might (or could)" come out with. Most of which are very unlikely to ever see the light of day. Just stuff I am not totally interested in. And there are some DIY projects in the magazine as well I could just as soon do without.

SR

7. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

8. StudioGuy macrumors regular

StudioGuy

I liked MacLife, when it wasn't MacLife - but, MacAddict. It's become too commonplace, with seldom an interesting note. I have to imagine that the true Mac geeks writing there are not as happy as they used to be.

I picked MacAddict over MacWorld along time ago. Now with MacLife, I agree the choice is hard....

Not very helpful, but I feel your pain...

9. Kinetic macrumors member

I actually like MacLife better only because MacWorld is way too fanboish (new word :D) for me. Don't expect to get an objective review from them on Apple products. But, since there really aren't that many good Mac magazines I get them both.

10. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

Anyone have a discount code or link for MacLife Magazine ?

11. Bebel macrumors member

12. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I have a MacLife subscription that's just about to run out; I don't think I'm going to renew it. It makes for good bathroom reading, but aside from that, the most I'll do is flip through an issue.

My favorite Mac mag is still MacAddict circa 1997-98.

13. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I used to subscribe to macaddict and macworld way back when (one for the fun, the other for serious reviews). Don't subscribe to either now that almost everything is on the net these days.

14. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Def go with Macworld. Its the standard for all Mac magazines (those that are still around).

15. mavherzog macrumors 6502

16. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Never heard of it.

17. weckart macrumors 68040

18. 50548 Guest

I am also thinking of subscribing to either MacLife or MacFormat, which is BY FAR the best Mac magazine out there...

The problem? Much more expensive, since it comes from UK...but I got one before flying on vacations, and kept on reading for days and days...

It's like Macworld in the good old days...thick issues and a LOT of really useful material instead of filler material or excessive ads...besides, you get a free DVD every month. For those living outside the US like me, this is a great bonus...

19. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

To me, by far the best Mac magazine out there is iCreate. Nothing else even comes close.

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this. full of win.

basiclly if you read macrumors and other sites you'll always be ahead of the magazines.

this is the best though if you're going to buy. great tutorials. shame its costly in the US.

21. eswank macrumors 6502

I've subscribed to both but my subscription ends soon. I'm thinking about renewing through that link that Bebel gave. That look like a better deal. I'll let my subscription pass then I'll resubscribe.

22. iMouseHD macrumors regular

I'll second that one.