Macmail.com Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevepeck, Jun 17, 2009.

1. stevepeck macrumors member

Does anyone else use MACMAIL.COM, the site seems to be down, l can send mail but cannot retrieve it.
    Anyone else having problems with Macmail.com.

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I do not use macmail.com so I cannot help you on that but I have an add-on in firefox called WOT (Web of Trust). This points out websites that have poor credibility and have issues relating with spam or phishing and the like. It showed up as a not credible site so I just wanted to let you know. There aren't that many bad ratings but they all have to do with spam. This is the scorecard if you want to see. I have no experience with macmail but normally WOT is very good about pointing out un-reliable sites.

3. norablack macrumors newbie

Yep - I'm getting the same problem - when I click to go to webmail I just get

ERROR:
    ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
    Query: CAPABILITY

HAve emailed their support but that failed too

support@macmail.com
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<support@macmail.com>:
    host mail.macmail.com [89.145.68.11]: 511 sorry, no mailbox here by that name (#5.1.1 - chkuser)

Anyone else having any luck? I've had my email with them since 2002 and they've always been good.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Slightly off-topic: that WOT add-on has me seriously tempted to move to Firefox. It's something that has been needed for a long time.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah, its great, It pops up a big warning when you are going into an un-reliable site and it also shows the status of all sites next to their names when you search in a search engine like google.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Back on topic, I'm hesitant to trust macmail.com because it strikes me as a blatant attempt to catch traffic headed for macmall.com.

Dur, stupidest post of the day. Forget it.

7. exoriare macrumors member

If I remember rightly years ago they called themselves applemail.com but were forced to changed by you-know-who. Maybe now Macmall will make them change again.:eek:

I've used them for years mainly for anonymous sign-ons to sites (like this one) rather than serious email, and yes, I get loads of spam. But I have a sentimental attachment to the Macmail idea. Though they do have their occasional outages, password rejects and so on which can be quite annoying. (But then, hey, the spam stops too so it's not all bad.)

8. exoriare macrumors member

Serious

This is now getting serious. 3+ days of downtime, no message on website, emails bounce back as undeliverable. Has macmail bitten the dust? Time to move on? Anyone else use it or know what's happening?

9. norablack macrumors newbie

10. A.K. macrumors newbie

Macmail down

Hi There

Me Too! Suffering same problem, maybe for the more technically inclined will be able to glean more info out of this website link.
    http://whois.domaintools.com/macmail.com

I have phoned Gyron who says that it is on their servers but cannot release any info on who runs it but did say that they have tried to contact them whith no luck before.... mmmm :confused:

I'll just have to start the slow process of finding all my emails that I received under Macmail log on to the relevant sites and change my email addresses Whoopee..

Hope this helps

Regards
    A.K.

P.S. In my attempt to track macmail down I phoned the address based in Kent which was a company called Database Power it's 18 months out of date. I believe they were taken over by symphony applications, which is now based on the IOW but no telephone number.... I can not G'tee if this is 100% accurate but i seem to have got to a dead end again.

11. dmbream macrumors newbie

I have another support addresses for them that I've used in the past, as in I've actually received responses from someone using this address.

Years ago, but I fished them up from my archived mail.

Try sending a note to:

feedback@macmail.info

Down for me, as well.

Not good.

12. dmbream macrumors newbie

13. norablack macrumors newbie

Nah - that one's dead too

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

feedback@macmail.info
    Unrouteable address

I think they've gone for good this time :-(

14. Gradivus macrumors member

Me too!

Yes, I'm getting exactly the same message. Plus, if I try to access it from MS Entourage I get the following -

"error creating table 'vlog': MySQL server has gone away."

15. gailkachelhoffe macrumors newbie

retrieving macmail addresses and emails

My macmail has been down for several weeks, but although i have an alternative address, i have loads of friends and contact emails stored on macmail, together with some important emails i need to access. Does anyone out there have any idea how to retrieve them? done a search on my mac for squirrel mail and macmail, but only attachment to an email and some photos have come up. many thanks:confused:

16. sixsevens macrumors newbie

MacMail RIP

It would appear that the plug has finally been pulled as now the website itself has gone. It would have been nice if the owner had put up a notice to say 'bye' and not left us all in the dark...
    Whois lists an email address for the site owner as macmail12@googlemail.com
    :(

17. BlackLilyNinja macrumors member

BlackLilyNinja

site seems to be down completely. I've been using them for years. I hope they manage to get it back up and running as i had no notices of them shutting down.