MacMail - Does this happen to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sal Collaziano, May 26, 2014.

1. Sal Collaziano macrumors regular

You're probably familiar with the notification that pops up in the top right corner of your screen when you receive email. Right? Does anyone else get notifications of emails you received years ago up there? This happens to me throughout every day. It's like MacMail keeps downloading old messages - forever... Does this happen to anyone else?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Are you referring to the application called Mail? I've not seen that behavior before.

3. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. Mail. Was it once named MacMail? If not, I don't know where I got that name from.

4. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Is it a POP or IMAP account & which provider?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

the notification is part os Mavericks but I've no seen any phenomenon where I get notified about an email that was sent a long time ago.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

That's something I've never seen.

I'd start checking settings in Mail and also at the mail provider.

7. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

It's Google IMAP... Yeah, I figured this was a unique issue. I can't see anything in my settings that would case MacMail to be getting old emails over and over again. I guess it's really not a big deal...

8. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I get notifications of old IMAP emails, but at most they're only a few days old. It's inconsistent, but I don't think a day goes by without seeing at least one meaningless notification.

It sometimes is triggered by "reply" -- let's say an email comes in, there's a notification. I go to Mac Mail and reply. When my reply goes out, I get a notification that the email I've just replied to has come in.

My email is hosted at 1and1.com. I haven't gone there and checked all the settings. I have several accounts there and I'll start checking the bad notifications to see if they all come from one (perhaps misconfigured) account, or from all of them.

Frankly, Mac Mail under Mavericks has been so consistently weird for me that I've just been shrugging my shoulders and blaming it rather than considering whether my mail server might be at least partly at fault. Each time there's a point upgrade I hope for better Mail, but it hasn't happened.

9. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

I get those reply notifications as well. When that first started happening, I had to double check to make sure I actually sent it to the right person and not somehow to myself...

10. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

We're probably both glad to know we're not the only one.

Last week I did a clean Mavericks install, but I did use the migration assistant once the install completed. So if something in my local settings was doing it, it still is.

I'll let you know what happens when I go out and check my mail server settings.

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Do you guys have your email organized "By Conversation"?

12. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

No. I don't like that view.

I have 5 IMAP accounts (all hosted in the same place). My gmail is forwarded, so I don't access gmail directly.

I have a few dozen mailboxes and a few dozen rules. The only plugin is "Disable Mail Animations" (I detest the stupid animations . . . it's hard to understand why Apple won't allow them to be disabled by Terminal, as used to be the case).

13. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

I don't like organizing by conversation either. I was originally a Microsoft Outlook user and that's the way I like email to look/work...